Sign in to follow this  

how do I clean my boots? WAH!

I'm getting soft in my old age or something...I've got a set of 2002 Alpinestar Tech 6 boots. The insides are getting nasty with sand and dirt. Anyone got a good way to get this crap out. The old turn-upside-down-and-beat method doesn't work well enough, and I'm kinda getting tired of my feet and socks getting sanded down to nothing after a long ride. Can I pull out the liners? Thanks, JL

Blast 'em out with a pressure washer after your ride day, let 'em hang upside down over a heat source for a day or so and they'll be good to go.

Blast 'em out with a pressure washer after your ride day, let 'em hang upside down over a heat source for a day or so and they'll be good to go.

That is a really great way to trash your boots, ESPECIALLY if they are leather.

If the liner is not removable, I suggest entirely submerging both boots in a large container like a laundry sink, with warm water and a mild soap like woolite or Johnson's baby shampoo. Scrub the outside if necessary with a soft brush. Soak for 30 minutes and then rinse really well to get all the soap residue out.

Let the boots drain over a couple of large dowel rods, then stuff them with old towels to absorb most of the residual water. Remove the towels and let the boots dry naturally - NO HEAT. When completely dry, treat the leather parts with a leather preservative to prevent cracking.

Don't do this real often - any complete soaking is hard on boots. Once every year or two won't hurt anything, and it will keep the nasty growth down.

http://www.motonation.com/bootclean.htm

John Davies

Spokane WA

SWEET! Thanks, never would have thought of taking care of the leather. At $200 a whack, I'm keeping these for a few more years. Thanks again. JL

Have you tried a shop vac - just the hose without any attachments will go about all the way to the toe of the boot. You could do this after each ride without the risk of ruining the boots. And I agree with John, you can wash out the insides with mild soap...but don't heat dry. I typically hang 'em over a low speed fan in room temperature.

if after washing the boots become stiff try using the oil that comes for conditioning baseball gloves,they will feel like wearing sneakers...

That is a really great way to trash your boots, ESPECIALLY if they are leather.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I ride quite a bit and usually wear through the soles or break off buckles and end up getting new boots before leather fatigue enters the equation. I only blast mine when they're really nasty fully of sand or mud. And I've got a pretty weak pressure washer.

Your method would definitely give the boots more longevity though :applause:.