Sign in to follow this  

Sorry I'm new!

So yesterday I got my first dirt bike. An old 85 CR125. Today I am full of stupid questions.

1- Is 32:1 a pretty safe ratio to mix the fuel at?

2- Is there an on line place to download a owners manual?

3- A brief overview on how to change the crankcase oil?

I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have raced superbikes for 4 years and do all my own work, just these 2 smokes are kinda new to me.

So yesterday I got my first dirt bike. An old 85 CR125. Today I am full of stupid questions.

1- Is 32:1 a pretty safe ratio to mix the fuel at?

2- Is there an on line place to download a owners manual?

3- A brief overview on how to change the crankcase oil?

I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have raced superbikes for 4 years and do all my own work, just these 2 smokes are kinda new to me.

1. Yes 32:1 should be fine, you may need to jet your bike depending on altitude and fuel mixture

2. Im not sure

3. There should be a drain bolt on the bottom of the case. Im not sure as to mow much oil it takes to fill it back up though. If the bike hasnt been ridden for a while i would change the fluid, ride it breifly through all the gears, then change it again.

1. 32:1 is fine

2.Buy one, they are cheap.

3.Drain bolt on the bottom of case 17mm. I think. drain it. Fill to specified cc's ,should be on right crank case cover.

Well I rode it around the block a bit yesterday. What a blast!! I have never ridden a 2 smoke bike, theyre kinda fun!

So far I replaced the clutch lever/perch/cable, fresh gas, oiled the filter. Today I will change the crankcase oil. Other then that I think its pretty much good to go. It ran like a top.

The girlfriend bought it for me for a Valentines day gift, $200 cant beat that!

Well I rode it around the block and it ran like a top! I have never riden a 2-stroke before and only have a small bit of seat time on a TTR225. These 2-strokes are a riot to ride. So far all that I have had to do was change the fuel, clean the filter, new clutch cable/perch/lever. Best part is the bike only cost $200!

i would double check(if you havnt already) the hoses(fuel line and such) and probably the cables(brake, throttle, ect) new brake fluid, other than that have fun with it, just know that it is an old bike and you will probably start finding that bearings, bolts, and other random parts may prove to be problematic, the top end is probably going to need rebuilt to(possibly the bottom end). other than that congratulations and welcome.