Sign in to follow this  

rear wheel reinstall

Maybe I'm going crazy. I do almost all the wrenching on my bikes.

This is the first time I have removed the rear wheel for tire replacement on my 05 250x. I now have the tire replaced and I'm having one hell of a time getting the wheel back into position. Seems like the brake pads are not allowing the rotor in.

Any thoughts tips or tricks that may be helpful.

thanks all,

Take a wide screw driver and spread the pads apart.

+1 :applause:

and make sure the caliper is on the slide correctly(on the swingarm)

This usually happens when you remove the wheel, the pads push in over half an hour or so. What I always do is just slide a srewdriver in right after the wheel is removed so you do not have this problem. But it is easy to open the brake pads after to if you don't do this.

I always use a screw driver, but I've wondered if it's bad for the pads? Is it ok as long as everything is clean?

yup it wont hurt the pads. As long as you are using a prying motion and not stabbing at them or anything..

Before you remove the wheel, just push in the caliper by hand towards the disk to gain clearance between the pads. The pads will stay backed off until your are ready to re-install the wheel.

Thanks for the replies, but I have always used a screw driver aswell to seperate the pads. The rotor seems to be getting stopped or hung up on something else. Maybe I'll figure it out this weekend.:cry::applause: :applause: :lol:

I think I'm going nukin futs.

If the tire is too low it will get hung up on the disk guard. If you lift it up really high and set it down where it's supposed to go then the rotor wont hit the guard.