Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rider long term test bike : RMZ450

Have you seen the new Dirt Rider , April 07? There is an update on their long term test RMZ450.

Their POS suzuki smoked its lower end bearings and roached the whole motor at only 84 hours.

It is just my luck that I own what is obviously the biggest pile of crap ever made by any of the big 4 . Sorry guys but it is true

06 model

I read this in the print version which just hit my mailbox an hour ago

They had a typical rod bearing failure which, with no warning, took out everything else.

There is areal problem with this bike, it is painfully obvious

That could have been the reason they revised the oil pump designs for '07, lack of oil will do bad things to moving parts. Not saying that is 100% why they did it but since I own a '07 I surely hope someone at the factory is paying attention to the details.

I feel your pain if that happens to my bike and knowing that I have been a long time Suzuki customer (25 + years) and bought a boat load of their product I will come at them with all my fury, not that it'll do any good but it may make me feel better in the end.

Good luck with your bike.

Thanks man I hope your 07 is a better bike than my 06!!

I didn't know the oil pump on the 07 was different, hopefully that does the trick

is there anything we can do,or better yet,contact about this? my bike(06) has yet to give any problems but I'm almost scared to ride it for fear it will blow up.this is my 3rd zook and first 4 stroke and I love it,but man I want to ride not rebuild every 6 months.if suzuki has a problem I would just like to know what it is.is it repairable or is it a design flaw?

gonna ride tomorrow

fingers crossed

brian

I hope it is repairable because I doubt anyone is going to want to buy a used RMZ450 like mine any time soon. i talked to one guy who called about a YZ250 I had for sale- I told him I had sold it but I had an RMZ450 I would sell him cheap.

He laughed and said NO WAY- he told me his buddy had already rebuilt his RMZ450 motor TWICE because of bad crank bearings killing the engine ...not once but twice!!!!

mine took a dump that destroyed the entire engine at around 25 hrs. its good to see someone in the media call out suzuki on this because it is a real bummer to spend that kind of money on a bike and have to buy a new motor for it in that time period. all i know is that i will NEVER buy another zook again and ill black their eye on every chance i get.

is there anything we can do,or better yet,contact about this? my bike(06) has yet to give any problems but I'm almost scared to ride it for fear it will blow up.this is my 3rd zook and first 4 stroke and I love it,but man I want to ride not rebuild every 6 months.if suzuki has a problem I would just like to know what it is.is it repairable or is it a design flaw?

gonna ride tomorrow

fingers crossed

brian

ya, pretty much same here. have owned a bunch of suzukis and this is the 1st hi-per 4 stroke ive owned.

I can see two things coming out of this article. Both bad for present owners.

1: Suzuki looks over the design and changes it on the next model year.

2: The resale value for our bikes is now lowwer than a 2003 cr250.

I wonder if a 2st motor can be jimmied into my frame?

We havent seen an RMZ lose a crank yet but we've probably sold only about a dozen. We did a brand new KXF450 lose a crank pin bearing at LESS THAN 4 HOURS. Luckily since it was so new kawi repaired it. I just got back from the suzuki technical update meeting where they point out any common problems of certain models to watch for and it didnt come up as being a known problem as of yet, they did put a much larger volume oil pump on the 07 though.

I've got an "05" with about 100 hrs on it. No problems yet and nothing unsual noticed when doing oil changes. I don't race anymore but I still drive it pretty hard. My biggest problems so far is keeping a back tire on it and changing chains all the time.

not to detract from the subject but i'v given several brand new bikes to certain publications to use for test bikes. They are required to return them after a year or 2 so i usually end up buying them back for cheap (from suzuki) The reason i get them cheap is because test bikes are thrashed. Bad. Most of them never see oil changes and filters are usually neglected. Body work is usually bad due to being crashed by everyone who rides it. This may not be one of those bikes and maybe was maintained better but who knows.

not to detract from the subject but i'v given several brand new bikes to certain publications to use for test bikes. They are required to return them after a year or 2 so i usually end up buying them back for cheap (from suzuki) The reason i get them cheap is because test bikes are thrashed. Bad. Most of them never see oil changes and filters are usually neglected. Body work is usually bad due to being crashed by everyone who rides it. This may not be one of those bikes and maybe was maintained better but who knows.

Yea, I read in one magazine that they change the oil in there bikes every 5 rides

Yea, I read in one magazine that they change the oil in there bikes every 5 rides

Until I see/read the article myself and see what their time intervals were maintenance (air filter change and an oil&filter change), I refuse to hit the PANIC button since my '06 has been ridden hard, put away wet, and still asks for more every time I take it out for a ride.:applause:

We have a 05', 06' & 07'.. raced every weekend and usually praticed once every week, absolutley no problems whatsoever. Ours have been bullet proof.

PS Not 1 450f return to our dealer for crank problems????????

We havent seen an RMZ lose a crank yet but we've probably sold only about a dozen. We did a brand new KXF450 lose a crank pin bearing at LESS THAN 4 HOURS. Luckily since it was so new kawi repaired it. I just got back from the suzuki technical update meeting where they point out any common problems of certain models to watch for and it didnt come up as being a known problem as of yet, they did put a much larger volume oil pump on the 07 though.

The shop where I purchased my bike sold 1Rmz 450 which was mine & 1RMZ 250 06 models. We both loss bottom end rod bearings.:applause:

Does the 07 oil pump bolt up to the 06 motor? Aslo do you think the automatic cam chain tensioner in 07 is part of the fix? I hear on the 05 and 06 you have to keep an eye on the cam chain.