Green sticker on Street Legal Trail Fine?

What's the fine for riding a green sticker bike on street legal only trail?

The reason I asked is that my friend has a green sticker bike and we got a little lost up by Big Bear last weekend and took a street legal only trail for a while. (I have a dual sport.) I'm told the rangers are really fair in these cases, but I was wondering how expensive can it get.

stringer

Ticket is about $175.00, we rode at Strawberry last summer and a group of 3 riders took another loop back to camp. You have to ride about 100 yards to join the other trail on the street (paved back rode) and ranger was waiting. She only wrote one ticket and the guys split the fine up.

What's the fine for ridding a green sticker bike on street legal only trail?

The reason I asked is that my friend has a green sticker bike and we got a little lost up by Big Bear last weekend and took a street legal only trail for a while. (I have a dual sport.) I'm told the rangers are really fair in these cases, but I was wondering how expensive can it get.

stringer

The forest service rangers are somewhat limited in what they can do. I got this very ticket about 10 years ago and the fine was only $100. However, up around Big Bear and in Holcomb valley the Sheriff is known to patrol and if they get you it can be severe. The green sticker part is only the start. It is in the $100 or only a few hundred $$$. Then they get you for no insurance. The fine for that can be as high as $1600. Then another fine if you don't have a motorcycle endosement on your license. Then they can and do on occasion impound your bike. That is also very expensive. It's never happened to me or anyone that I know, but I'd guess on an another $1000 to get your bike back. They could also try and forfeit your bike so you never get it back.

So the bottom line is it could be just a $100 fine, or it could go all the way to $2500 plus loss of your bike.

The forest service rangers are somewhat limited in what they can do. I got this very ticket about 10 years ago and the fine was only $100. However, up around Big Bear and in Holcomb valley the Sheriff is known to patrol and if they get you it can be severe. The green sticker part is only the start. It is in the $100 or only a few hundred $$$. Then they get you for no insurance. The fine for that can be as high as $1600. Then another fine if you don't have a motorcycle endosement on your license. Then they can and do on occasion impound your bike. That is also very expensive. It's never happened to me or anyone that I know, but I'd guess on an another $1000 to get your bike back. They could also try and forfeit your bike so you never get it back.

So the bottom line is it could be just a $100 fine, or it could go all the way to $2500 plus loss of your bike.

It sounds like total BS. I've heard up in my area, the rangers know where to wait to catch riders connecting trails. I don't advocate riding green sticker bikes on the highway, but it seems like there are times where a trail system just creates problems.

I'm still kicking myself for not plating my XR200R before the 2001 deadline.

It sounds like total BS. .

Whether or not is sounds like BS or even smells like BS,

Cleonard is 100% correct.

This morning, they were discussing this at the FOJ meeting,

There is serious talk about impounding bikes or whatever OHV if you

are off the marked trial system in forest or BLM limited use. The "I dunno" Excuse

will no longer fly. They are going to get pretty "Zero tolerance" on us or we will be

faced with closures.

Check out the fines in Seqoua at the following link, CORVA.org Those

numbers alone should make you toss your lunch

Wayne

If there is an area that you ride that has a short distance of paved road to connect trails, that section of road can be designated as combined use. Work with the local authority to get it designated!!!

Here's the information:

California Vehicle Code

38026. **(a) In addition to Section 38025 and after complying with subdivision © of this section, if a local authority, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation finds that a highway, or a portion thereof, under the jurisdiction of the authority, agency, or the director, as the case may be, is located in a manner that provides a connecting link between off-highway motor vehicle trail segments, between an off-highway motor vehicle recreational use area and necessary service facilities, or between lodging facilities and an off-highway motor vehicle recreational facility and if it is found that the highway is designed and constructed so as to safely permit the use of regular vehicular traffic and also the driving of off-highway motor vehicles on that highway, the local authority, by resolution or ordinance, agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation, as the case may be, may designate that highway, or a portion thereof, for combined use and shall prescribe rules and regulations therefor. No highway, or portion thereof, shall be so designated for a distance of more than three miles. No freeway shall be designated under this section.

(:applause: The Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission may propose highway segments for consideration by local authorities, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation for combined use.

© Prior to designating a highway or portion thereof on the motion of the local authority, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation, or as a recommendation of the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission, a local authority, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation shall notify the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol, and shall not designate any segment pursuant to subdivision (a) which, in the opinion of the commissioner, would create a potential traffic safety hazard.

(d) A designation of a highway, or a portion thereof, under subdivision (a) shall become effective upon the erection of appropriate signs of a type approved by the Department of Transportation on and along the highway, or portion thereof.

The cost of the signs shall be reimbursed from the Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund, when appropriated by the Legislature, or by expenditure of funds from a grant or cooperative agreement made pursuant to Section 5090.50 of the Public Resources Code.

Ride on

Brewster