Sign in to follow this  

crf250x competitors?

I am new here and am trying to decide what to get. I just sold my 2004 xr400so I can get something a little more moto x with electric start. My research makes me believe that the only direct competition for the 250crfx is the wr. Is this true? If not, what also compares to the 250crfx (elec start being important)?

Bike tests have always focused more on comparing the WR to CRF (similar in price and more likely to be bought by consumers) - have been since the models were released in 04.

There's the KTM 250 EXC-F and no doubt, another competitor in the mix. It's difficult to make a recommendation without being biased, as you need to consider your budget, test ride them and know what exactly you need from a bike.

What is the best feature? The magic button!

Not really in the same class IMHO.

I'd imagine it's not just your opinion... In mine, that bike compares more to the XR250 or CRF230.

-JP

+1 TOAST :applause: I make due with my 04 X but to own a Husky is a dream! Correct you are about the sparse US dealers which makes stuff kind of hard to come by but those Husky's pack some power! I'd sell my POS X in a second for one of those.

+1 TOAST :applause: I make due with my 04 X but to own a Husky is a dream! Correct you are about the sparse US dealers which makes stuff kind of hard to come by but those Husky's pack some power! I'd sell my POS X in a second for one of those.

I think alot more people would buy them if OEM Parts were more accessible. And the company did not have the perception of "When will they be sold!".

Sat on one at the Motorcycle Show in NY. I am 5'9", and was in an alternating tipy toe position. Basically, could not touch with both feet. Also, title ready makes a great selling point too!!

Huskies and KTMs are nice... always seem to be more $$$ and no dealer/ parts around.:applause: ... mebbe just here... honda parts everywere and cheap:applause:

I hear you on the "when are they going to be sold" thing. I used to have a Cagiva WMX125. It was a sweet bike but I was definately worried about the scarcity of parts back then too! As for the height thing, that can be adjusted. I am 6'1 and 175 so when I got my X I was less than impressed with the marshmallowy suspension and immediately had to upgrade the rear end. I'm not saying I don't think its a good bike, I'm just saying if I had the chance, I'd dump it for a Husky in a second.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2007/images/te250_01.jpg

TE250 6 spd tranny, electric & kick start, strong motor.

Dealers are sparse.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

Interesting.

Let me add some insight to this:

There were 6 Huskys in the Garage 4 Weeks Ago, down to 4 right now.

At one time there were 3 "X's", now just one.

The TE 250 makes WAY (way way) more power than the Honda "X", oh yeah, it's street legal too!

The Good:

It does not have Valve issues, the '04's did but Husky warrantied them all.

It does put some folks farther than they want to be from a Dealer.

Parts are plentiful, mail order everything and have it in 2 days.

Weight is ABOUT the same.

Both are Green Sticker in CA if you don't "Dual Reg." the Husky.

Easy to check Valves (you wont ever need to adjust, but it's easy.)

The Bad:

The Forks are horrible stock. Shops that will work on them scarce.

Easy to strip Bolts-use a torque wrench on everything.

Marginal Cooling System.

Tall Seat Height.

The Ugly:

Handling

I would say that in direct comparison to the '04 X with BRP Triples (either 20 or 22 offset, can't remember what they are) the handling alone is a deal killer. I don't recall the Honda being too bad stock, the BRP Clamps are a friggin revelation!!!!

Side Note:

Pulling the Head off the "X" tomorrow to send back to Pro Circuit. A FULL YEAR AND A HALF of D-37 and BITD and not a single Valve Adjustment!

I realize there may be other options but I was VERY impressed with the Pro Circuit set-up.