Sign in to follow this  

Does the klx compare to the crfx?

I'm trying to decide what to get. I like what the crfx has to offer but like the looks of kawasaki. Does the klx compare to the crfx in performance? I'm mainly lookin for the elec start but a bike that has a little motocross inbreeding to it.

I'm trying to decide what to get. I like what the crfx has to offer but like the looks of kawasaki. Does the klx compare to the crfx in performance? I'm mainly lookin for the elec start but a bike that has a little motocross inbreeding to it.

The KLX does not compare to the CRFX in performance. The CRFX will eat it for lunch, although the KLX has more grunty low end. Suspension wise, the CRFX is substantially better. As for Estart, the KLX300 does not have one, so the CRF wins out again. If you comparing to the KLX250, then subtrack even more HP than the 300.

As for engine maintainence, the KLX is stellar. As for valve life, the KLX has it's issues, but I'd guess the valves last at least 3X's as long as the CRFX's which (depending on who you talk to) last anywhere from 20-80 hours. Not my idea of a long lasting, reliable trail bike. More race bred, with the required maintainence that it demands. I'd be looking towards a WR250F if I wanted and estart 250F with great HP and handling......and RELIABILITY. Yamaha is king when it comes to reliable 250F motors. 10K miles on one set of intake valves is not unusual for WR's. I know of CRF's going south well before 1000 miles. Hope that helps.

My KLX250S overbored to 331cc dyno'd at just a hair under 27 HP which is right around the dyno result on the DBTV episode after they hopped up a CRF250X with some hot cams. To get the throttle response you'll need to be upgrading the carb to something like an FCR, too. Not to mention a decent header and silencer. And unless you weigh 100 lbs, you'll need to respring the forks and maybe the shock.

The KLX250S runs great now with all those mods, but it takes some work and $$.

When is Japan going to copy the European street legal enduros and give us what we really want? Shouldn't be much of a stretch to fit the WR450 with a 6 speed tranny and blinkers. That'd be a bombshell in the market, right there. I doubt they could make enough to keep them on dealers' floors.

The question is: What do you intend to do with the bike? If you want to trail ride with a reliable, stable mount, the KLX is a good way to go. If you want to ride somewhat more aggressively the the CRFX is the way to go. There is the corresponding trade off - reliability or maintenance. I sold my KLX a year ago and upgraded to a WR450. I did like the CRFX450, but I feel that the Yammie has definatiely proven itself as being quite reliable. I'm also missing the KLX 300. The WR450 is the superior mount on paper. But I was faster on the KLX in tight twisty stuff. The WR demands respect, and a very good riding technique to get the best out of it. The KLX was just fun. And again, incredibly quick turning, but so stable. I did find the suspension tended to get out of shape at anything near race speeds. I'm still entertaining the thought of getting a second hand one, valving the suspension, fitting a pumper carb and a 340cc kit. With the KLX, its all about the rider. The only down side with the KLX is that it is dated. If Kawasaki ditched the CV carb, updated the boingers, it would probably rediefine the whole XR, DR genre.

The 250 crfX requires a lot of maintenace, especially the valves. On the single track I'll go head to head with any 250X. On the MX track, the 250X is much better. The KLX needs new springs, a valve kit and a new carb. Mine has been extrememly reliable and with a few upgrades and some riding skill, you can stay with the 400-450's. The KLX is a greta bike for the money.

yeah like everyone else has said the klx will not keep up with the CRX but if you want major power punched into a small frame that is similar to a 2smoke engine than that is the bike to get. the klx is more low end and climbing hills. hope you have a lotta luck picking your bike.

Mine has been extrememly reliable and with a few upgrades and some riding skill, you can stay with the 400-450's.

Only if the terrain is super tight and the riders on the 400-450's are less skilled than you. In anything remotely open, even the 250F's will smoke the KLX. IMO, the true problem with the KLX is the suspension. Even with springs, gold valves and professional set-up and stabilizer, it just can't compare with the new designs. If you ride hard and/or fast, the KLX takes a LOT of $$$ to make run well. Even with KX suspension, you're talking a decade old suspension and frame compared to the new bikes. In the tight twisties, the KLX will hold it's own with a good rider. I agree 110% with the reliabilty comment though. I wouldn't trade my KLX for a 250X. I HATE doing valvejobs. :applause:

I would not trade my Klx 400 03' for anything other than a 07' lol I have been riding a long time and don't have any problems keeping up. In fact, I'm usually waiting for people. Track, trail, woods, whatever. It is a little heavier than a racing bike, but I have been torturing my bike since the day I bought it with no problems. (other than crash related) I have a tag on my bike w led blinkers and full coverage insurance! I cracked my case and all the oil drained out, locked up the motor and all. I paid the deductible and rocked on! I use it to go downtown also. My yosh is no louder than a harley!:applause:

Are you talking about the new KLX450? It should be out in about 2 months. From what I hear, it is similar to the CRX. It shares most all the same components as the KX450, so you should be able to hot-rod the bike just like the CRX.

Are you talking about the new KLX450? It should be out in about 2 months. From what I hear, it is similar to the CRX. It shares most all the same components as the KX450, so you should be able to hot-rod the bike just like the CRX.

No. KLX300.

I have a KLX-340 and a WR-263, both are GREAT bikes but the WR is definately faster from point A to point B. The KLX has extensive suspension work but still wont compare to the WR.

The KLX has extensive suspension work but still wont compare to the WR.

EVen my stock suspended and non-adjusted WR with woefully sacked out fork springs is vastly superior (suspender-wise) to my pimped out KLX with ESP suspended suspension. Sad....but true.

Hey Brett - I'm well aware of the WR250 to KLX comparisons engine wise, but I'm interested in your thoughts on how the big bore on the WR does in comparison the the KLX on the bottom end? Does it restore any of the bottom end that I'm missing from the KLX? I was thinking about going to a 290, but right now for the hills I need to be able to climb, even the 300 with a trials tire is seeming a little weak. I was thinking 450 or 525, but maybe a 290 on the WR might be the thing I'm looking for. I like the light weight. Any thoughts? Thx. bp

I just purchased a 2006 CRF250X for my son, it is so much quicker, better suspension, etc. than my KLX300 which is highly modified. After we mod his bike Im sure I will sell my KLX and purchase the Honda also.

Bill; I have had 2 big-bore kits in my KLX, 331 & 340. The 331 had 12:1 C.R. and the 340 has (I think) 10.5:1. The hi C.R. of the 331 was very snappy on the bottom but A REAL DRAG to kick start, the 340 is much easier to kick and although it is a little bigger it's little softer on the bottom. The WR-263 has compareable bottom end to the 340 but I suspect part of that is the superior throttle response and the accelerator pump of the FCR. I think that any of the bigger (270, 276, 290, etc.) kits would give the Yamaha more low end than the KLX.

Brett - thanks for the info! I've always been disapointed with the bottom end on the WR after having juiced up KLX's. Your description is just what I was looking for. Maybe I'll give the WR a 290 upgrade before looking elsewhere. Thx. Bill

Brett - thanks for the info! I've always been disapointed with the bottom end on the WR after having juiced up KLX's. Your description is just what I was looking for. Maybe I'll give the WR a 290 upgrade before looking elsewhere. Thx. Bill

Hey Bill, would that mod make it a WLX300R?:applause: Sounds like the perfect weapon:ride:

BTW.. I haven't forgot about the DVD. Just haven't had time lately. I'll send it to you soon.

Dave

Bill; something to consider about the bigger pistons for the 250F, the bigger you go the less happy the motor is about revving. The 2mm & 3mm pistons seem to not have any effect, but 4mm and larger, especially the 6mm & 7mm, (290cc & 300cc) are much happier with short-shifting. If you want to retain the rev-happy nature of the stock motor but want a big increase in overall power I believe the +3mm 270cc is the best option. Like I said I have the +2mm 263cc and am amazed at the increase, so the 270 ought to be even better.

Hey Bill, would that mod make it a WLX300R?:applause: Sounds like the perfect weapon:ride:

BTW.. I haven't forgot about the DVD. Just haven't had time lately. I'll send it to you soon.

Dave

:applause:

Bill; something to consider about the bigger pistons for the 250F, the bigger you go the less happy the motor is about revving. The 2mm & 3mm pistons seem to not have any effect, but 4mm and larger, especially the 6mm & 7mm, (290cc & 300cc) are much happier with short-shifting. If you want to retain the rev-happy nature of the stock motor but want a big increase in overall power I believe the +3mm 270cc is the best option. Like I said I have the +2mm 263cc and am amazed at the increase, so the 270 ought to be even better.

Brett - now you have me thinking twice. :applause: I wish I could ride a 290. I don't mind a little slower reving, but I don't want it to rev as slow as a KLX. What to do....what to do.....

It sounds like you want a 270 or 276. The only problem with the 276 is the $1000 price tag. With stock displacement I had a VERY hard time keeping up with 250 2-strokes, now with 263cc it is easy, I would not have believed it would have made such a big difference if someone told me. Go for the 270.