Sign in to follow this  

What's a good ride near Moab?

Heading down this weekend and thought I'm fairly familiar with the area I don't know much about where the good dirtbike trails are. I'm an intermediate rider and my friend is a novice.

My range is about 40 miles so prefer a loop not greater than that. What do you suggest?

Go to the visitor center and buy a map. Good rides everywhere!

Get the latitude 40 Moab east and West.:applause:

Get the latitude 40 Moab east and West.:applause:

I'll second that. http://www.latitude40maps.com

Most of the trails in Moab are spurs (out and back) there are some good loops but many involve some technical riding.

Some options.

Easy trails:

Klondike Bluffs (9 miles north of Moab)

Gemini Bridges

Monitor & Merrimac

Intermediate:

Slick Rock Trail (you should do this one)

Hells Revenge

Porcupine Rim

(all are in the sand flats rec area, and within about a mile of each other)

Poison Spider Mesa, some technical places but not too bad

Which areas are patrolled by Rangers? And which have the least amount of people?

Lets just say I'd like to avoid any uneccesary imperial entanglements. If you know what I mean?

Just make yourself legal. It's not expensive and opens a lot of trail options.

Last time I was stopped by a Ranger (on White Rim), we were Colorado State legal, but the Ranger almost wrote us a ticket because he thought (he wasn't absolutely sure) that our bikes needed to be Utah legal (blinkers and shit). We thanked him for the thought, and told him we would ride "straight home" to our cots.

That being said: I'd check on the requirements.

I've had police officers stop traffic for me to push my XR across 191 before. (I stalled it and it doesn't have a hot-start (don't-cha know:rolleyes:)) He did, however, scrutinize my CO plate before cracking a smile and stopping traffic.

Take this as you will. Don't cause any reason to be noticed, and you probably won't, IMO. BUT, things happen. Having a plate is really the only way to do Moab. Have fun! :applause:

It sounds like the rangers in Canyonlands Nat Prk had it out for the motorized White Rim users. I've heard stories the past several years of them handing out tickets for any small infraction and stopping and checking everyone without cause. Granted there were some violators, but hassling everyone? Obviously they're anti-motor.

It sounds like the rangers in Canyonlands Nat Prk had it out for the motorized White Rim users. I've heard stories the past several years of them handing out tickets for any small infraction and stopping and checking everyone without cause. Granted there were some violators, but hassling everyone? Obviously they're anti-motor.

Here's a pic my bud took with his phone on White Rim as the Ranger was getting out of his truck... he was very anti-moto (notice the mtn.bike in the back of his truck).

38481764b62cab1e614c677fcb81e0587753de4235b2e141302389d5.jpg

Obviously they're anti-motor.

possibly, but they might also just be anti-dick. does having a mountain bike make one anti-moto? i have one. lots of mtn bikers are pro-moto.

the white rim (and any other nat'l park dirt road) is for street-legal vehicles only, and has a 25mph speed limit. i've ridden the trail twice on motorcycles and once on a bicycle (11 hrs!), and i'd be willing to bet that most motorcyclists are exceeding the speed limit. i know i sure as hell was, lol, but i tried to keep things under control and i slowed way down when i was anywhere near anyone else. to me it's a nice trail for a 2-up ride on a 650 dualsport, but pretty boring (except for the views) on a real dirt bike.

i personally haven't had any issues with the park guys there. the one at the entrance to needles gave me a good lookover (street legal klx300), but when he saw the license plate he was happy.

Which areas are patrolled by Rangers? And which have the least amount of people?

Lets just say I'd like to avoid any uneccesary imperial entanglements. If you know what I mean?

if you want to avoid entanglements, just obey the law. if you're planning on riding off-trail, or otherwise engaging in illegal hooliganism, please stay away. those of us who love riding moab don't need any more bad apples.

that being said, what kind of trails do you like? most of the riding in the moab area is rocky sandy jeep trail. some of them have fun and entertaining technical maneuvers. some people enjoy that kinda stuff, some don't.

I'm probably being overly sensitive to what happened to us. We were not speeding (when we were stopped), he was just checking us out (to the point of calling in our registrations and whatnot). I said 'anti-moto' just because he was accusing me of not riding the same bike that I gave him a registration for (registration said I had a 'white' bike; I swapped all my plastics to 'black'. This confused him for some reason. I assumed it was because he didn't care too much for motos, thus, not knowing much about them). Nobody in our group was being 'dickish' (we understand the law of the land), but, we were detained for ~40-50 minutes while they checked us out. That's all I'm trying to say.

Here's a pic my bud took with his phone on White Rim as the Ranger was getting out of his truck... he was very anti-moto (notice the mtn.bike in the back of his truck).

38481764b62cab1e614c677fcb81e0587753de4235b2e141302389d5.jpg

I understand you frustration with other trail users (rangers included). Here are some interesting facts. In 1900 our population was around 76 million people. Today it is 300 million. By 2050 it will be 500 million. Imagine if 10% of the population today were trail users. Do you know how crowded places like canyonlands may be? I am sure you were doing nothing wrong. the ranger has the responsibility to stop and check people to make sure that they are legal (although some rangers are just dicks). There is so much pressure from each usergroup to kick the other usergroups out it isn't funny. It is only going to get worse. Just because he has a bike does not make him anti moto. I ride my mountainbike, roadbike, and dirtbike. I guess I could say something bad about being a government employee though.....but I won't.

If I had to make an assumption about cyclists (mountainbikers) I would say they dislike ATV's because they ruin singletrack. There is nothing worse than railing a nice gradual downhill singletrack only to find that someone has just made it a logging road with their ATV. My view is ATVs are for people that can not balance on two wheels.

Moab is a great place to ride....Back on topic. Anytime in Moab there are people pissed that people come to their back yards to recreate. Maybe the ranger is one of them.

Regards,

TJ

we were detained for ~40-50 minutes while they checked us out. That's all I'm trying to say.

well, that's probably not being oversensitive to be annoyed by that. the right thing to do in that situation is to document exactly what happened, and write a letter to the park supervisor. it might make things worse to ask what probable cause he had for stopping you in the first place if you weren't speeding or anything else. the worst i've ever had is someone look at the plate and chat for a minute and send me on my way.

of course i'm also a government employee these days, lol, so maybe that's why they're so nice to me. i also am usually traveling alone, and on the rare occasions when i see a ranger, i usually pull right over and take off my helmet and say hi and shoot the breeze for a bit.

He was just doing his job: keeping the park rules enforced. I don't blame him for that at all. Hopefully, the next group that came by didn't have to go through the same "rigormaroll" (that's a word, right?) :applause:

He was just doing his job: keeping the park rules enforced. I don't blame him for that at all. Hopefully, the next group that came by didn't have to go through the same "rigormaroll" (that's a word, right?) :applause:

in my mind (and i work for the law enforcement arm of a public land management agency) 'doing his job' generally means checking to make sure you have a plate and a valid park pass. beyond that, he really otta have some kinda probable cause if he's gonna detain you for more than a couple minutes of chatting. there are enough people out there that are breaking the law that folks shouldn't be wasting much time with people that are obviously following the rules.

but who knows.... maybe someone called in a complaint, or they'd been having a ton of unlicenced vehicles in the park, or sumtin. even when i think i may be getting undue attention from an officer, i try to be cheerful about it. i sure as hell don't want their job.

.... maybe someone called in a complaint, or sumtin. even when i think i may be getting undue attention from an officer, i try to be cheerful about it. i sure as hell don't want their job.

Well, the way the story is gonna be told from now on is: "...it's all 'cause that KTM-guy from Texas was with us...".

Haha! Sim'ma down, nah! Only kidding...

I really think he had a crush on my XR. :applause:

We had contact with a ranger on the White Rim and got the same BS about turn signals. We were all street legal for Colorado which has similar regs as Utah. He said it would be the sheriff writing us tickets, but nothing happened. I now carry a copy of the Utah regs with me for further discussion. Also the speed limit is 15 mph on the White Rim, not 25.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04163.htm

My dad and I saw someone get caught, so we ran real silent like so as not to get caught:D

Rode slick rock early january, ranger was bored, we were only ones in main parking lot, he asked where our registration was, i said its on the dash per instructions when we paid to come in (unmanned). he said thanks, looked at our colorado ohv stickes and left.We had the trials bikes. I heartily agree, be prepared, be legal or go the f--k home so you dont ruin it for others please!!!