Sign in to follow this  

Shipping a bike for a summer ride?

I live in Oregon but will take a 2week ride in Utah this summer. Rather than driving my pickup and carrying the bike, I thought about shipping the bike and flying there. So, it would be round trip shipping for the bike.

Have any of you come up with an affordable way to ship the bike. Some of the places I have checked on the web want from $700-$1000 each way, depending on whether you want "someday next summer" service or, specified shipping and arrival dates. Amtrak was downright rude when I talked with a rep there. Even though their ad says they will ship a crated motorcycle, the rep said no. Rrrr!

Ken

Yeah, I totally just bought a CRF250 from san diego and needed a cheap way to ship it. I found a site, that it turns out a friend helped start, called

www.Uship.com.

You post a pic and dimensions of your bike and timeframe, and then various companies bid on it. The guys I went with charged me $400 from San Diego to Washington.

Shipped a BMW LT (big) via Federal to Tuscon (for a ride to Mexico) & back 3 years ago for 1K. They have a pallet system where they don't have to crate. Hard part was getting all the gear through the airport and having room left over for regular clothes.

Trick was they will only pick up & drop at a dealer so while they didn't charge per se, it was suggested that I have a service done while it was there.

The Portland dealer didn't charge either way.

So check with Federal. Sounds fun BTW

A friend of mine use to take his bike over to Hawaii when they would go on vacation. He would take it apart, front wheel and forks as one, frame and engine as two and the back wheel would go with the front. He would take it on the same flight as extra baggage. All depends on the weight as to how much extra you pay. Remember to drain the bike completely of all fluids as this cuts down on the weight. Call the airlines and see what it would cost to take extra baggage with you.