Sign in to follow this  

Ultra hard to start 07

My 07 is relatively new and has about a dozen rides on it and it is really hard to start usually i have to jump start it down a hill to get it started, the valves are all in spec so i have a feeling that its the carberator causing the problem any help is greatly appreciated:confused:

is there any bogging or anything if you snap the throttle ! ??

u tried changing/looking at the plug

is there any bogging or anything if you snap the throttle ! ??

u tried changing/looking at the plug

Changed the plug and it does bog when i snap the throttle when i first start it

maybe u can try this: turn the throttle about 2-3 times to prime the carb with the ap sqirt. Then i kick the kick starter slowly a couple of times and not intending to start it up. Next i kick the kick starter up to the point u feel theres resistence, this is the compression stroke of the dirtbike thats giving u the resistence, i then move like 1 inch from this tension spot and then bring back the kick starter, the point of this is to try to get the piston at TDC as well as to get all 4 valves closed...Next i kick the kickstarter like i would on a 2 stroke and it fires up on first kick for me (starting it cold)..

if this doesnt work, and u think its the fuel/air mix, the clean the jets, and make sure everything is in spec, like float height...if nothing, check to see if u have lost any compression....and im running out of ideas, need more info. When it does start is running like it should be

It's not uncommon for the valve lash to be off straight from the factory,or tighten up and settle after break in.(bump starting your bike ain't right)I would check clearances.Second I'd probably richen up the air screw.Third I would run a 42 pilot jet.Fourth check and compare jetting specs for your area.

Agreed, somethings up on the 07's vs the 06's. The 07's can be a bitch to start! I need to find out whats going on here. I believe its in the carby changes for 07.

my bike starts just fine, if it doesnt start within two kicks i just pump the throttle twice and kick it and it starts every time like that, hot or cold

I have been having this problem aswell. I just rebuilt my engine after trashing my crankcase. When I had the bike in bits I checked the valve clearences and put in a set of new rings while I was at it. I noticed on sunday that my bike was hard to start sometimes. I was going to check my clearances but i can't see them being out after only 2hrs of riding on sunday. If any you guys have solved the problem please post and help the rest of us out.:applause:

it starts now if i lay it over and let gas leak out and crack the throttle two or three times. thanks guys

Having to lay it over is a clear sign of a carb issue. Have a friend with a new 450R that's fuel float needle was sticking closed. Couldn't start that with a prayer, until he opened the carb and cleane dthings up.

Sorry bout my stupid post. Ive been working on my 2 stroke a lot lately getting it ready to sell and I just kinda spaced:crazy:

so my 07 has been easy and hard. A few times i got it to fire up 2 kicks with 2 pumps of throttle, no problems. All the other times it takes some kicks for me. But when shes hot shes on it. I sometimes get that hot stall but my idle is still a little low which could cure that problem. She starts with one kick with the hot start engaged and there isnt even the slightest hint of bog in my carb. Hondas are cold-blooded . . . just gotta warm em up.:thumbsup: If you have this problem with a hot bike, check your jetting specs for your area in the owners manual that the carb requires.