Sign in to follow this  

Why Scrubbing Speed?

I don't understand why people call it "Scrubbing Speed". When you scrub, or wash out the front end keep from the front end rebounding, you are scrubbing height.

Why do they call it Scrubbing Speed?

You have to slow down so you do not launch into orbit. No one likes to over jump. Oh Ouch. So you are slowing down. You can do this with the front wheel or ride the rear brake on the face of the jump and keel the suspension collapsed so you dont buck. Stewart just made the Old style turning the front wheel popular again.

There is a difference between scrubbing height and scrubbing speed. What you described "scrubs height" so you can actually hit jumps at a faster speed without jumping so high and far. "Scrubbing speed" typically refers to dropping the front end and intentionally coming up slightly short on a jump so that you don't carry as much speed into a closely following corner.

There is a difference between scrubbing height and scrubbing speed. What you described "scrubs height" so you can actually hit jumps at a faster speed without jumping so high and far. "Scrubbing speed" typically refers to dropping the front end and intentionally coming up slightly short on a jump so that you don't carry as much speed into a closely following corner.

I just whish I could do either.:applause:

Because ur "scrubing" off hang time/ air

Well yea I said that. Air, height, same thing. But youre going faster, not slower off the jump. So why would the people who announce the races say scrubbing speed?

because the fastest way to point a to point b is a straight line (thanks geometry!). so if you go straight and hit it fast, you will go higher (curve not straight in the air). but if you go and stay lower to the ground it makes a line almost parallel with the dirt(straight not curved). so it takes longer to go higher than stay low to the ground. :applause: hope it helps sorry its confusing.

Sports announcers are all messed up. During Winter X Games Jamie Little tells us we can scrub a snowmobile by tilting it sideways in the air.

• Like 1

Okay still. I think the term should be called "Scrubbing height" and not scrubbing speed. Because we are not slowing down, we are speeding up and then we are flying LOWER and yes I know that lower is faster.

Im just asking why do people use the term "Scrubbing speed" when really you are hitting it faster.

Okay still. I think the term should be called "Scrubbing height" and not scrubbing speed. Because we are not slowing down, we are speeding up and then we are flying LOWER and yes I know that lower is faster.

Im just asking why do people use the term "Scrubbing speed" when really you are hitting it faster.

yea i agree. i mean they carry all the momentum towards a jump, to try to clear it, however they scrub "air/height" to prevent from launching to far...staying lower to the ground to land quicker and faster to tackle the next

obstacle...:applause:

There is a step up at a track that I go to, which is pretty fun--if you go too fast, you over shoot badly, if you go to slow, you come up short badly--if you hit it at a good speed and clear it, you get too much hang time---so I hit it faster than needed, and going up the face I slide to one side of my bike and scrub it over; it is not a great scrub but it does make a big difference.

There is a step up at a track that I go to, which is pretty fun--if you go too fast, you over shoot badly, if you go to slow, you come up short badly--if you hit it at a good speed and clear it, you get too much hang time---so I hit it faster than needed, and going up the face I slide to one side of my bike and scrub it over; it is not a great scrub but it does make a big difference.

Which track?

I like scrubbing speed. :applause: I always picture someone scrubbing his BBQ or whatever to get ever single bits he can get.

What I mean is: Bubba is "scrubbing" every "bits" of speed he can out of the track. Hence, scrubbing speed.

:applause:

...and it sounds much more cooler. :lol:

maybe its called scrubbing speed because the are going so fast that if they hit the jump normal they would WAYYY over jump it so on the face the have to scrub the speed off a little be going sideways because when u are sideways i can imagine you are not gettin the best traction so you are slowing just a tad....and shit idk if thats right or not who cares....scrubbing air sounds homo

"The Bubba scrub" has a better ring to it than "The Bubba create friction at the takeoff to reduce speed while flattening the trajectory, thingie". Now, if you will excuse me, I need to find some soap to wash out my front end.

P.S. How do I make my seat stop bouncing?

in road racing, scrubbing speed is what they do in the first part of a corner to slow down. they do that by trail braking. maybe that's where they got the term?