Sign in to follow this  

starting tips for my rmz anyone?

i just went out to warm up my 05 rmz250 and it won't start at all. it started and rode well a few days ago, probably the plug. but i'm thinkin' some of the neighbor kids were lookin' at my bikes and gave it some throttle. i bought the bike about 2 weeks ago and haven't really had a routine on starting it. anybody have a routine for their rmz? fill me in. all help is greatly appreciated.

hey buddy, sounds like it may be flooded. i would drain the float bowl on the carb, and put in a new spark plug. then go from there,and see what happens.

well if u wanna do a quick thing push it down and hill and start it

i had to do it at one of my races and there was one moto befor mine also got a quad to pull it to help it run over ..... not the best way of starting a bike but get the job done in a hurry :applause:

mines been a beast to start lately because of the cold and usually takes like 10 kicks to start even if I ran the engine the day before. What helps is to slowly kick it through 2 times then kick it good the third time. mine starts first kick when I do that now

this is wat i do when i turn on the bike when it's cold.. I turn the throttle about 2-3 times to prime the carb with the ap sqirt. Then i kick the kickstarter slowly a couple of times and not intending to start it up. Next i kick the kick starter up to the point u feel theres resistence, this is the compression stroke of the dirtbike thats giving u the resistence, i then move like 1 inch from this tension spot and then bring back the kick starter, the point of this is to try to get the piston at TDC as well as to get all valves closed...Next i kick the kickstarter like i would on a 2 stroke and it fires up on first kick for me (starting it cold)..

its normally that the valve clearances have closed up when they wont start.

a few things very important

Set the idle as low as u can .

Get a jd jetting kit .

And most important change the pilot jet from a 42 to a 40 .(IDLE JET)

o yea get some zip ty waterless coolant and read the directions!!!!

THE CURE ALL FOR YOUR RMZ BLUES!!!

I agree with Racer24.

If its below 20 - 40 Degrees, give it about 10 - 12 pumps of the throttle to prime it up, full choke and it'll start right up. If the temp is somewhere between 40 and 70 degrees give it between 3 - 8 pumps. If above 70 degrees 1 - 3 pumps. All of these are with a cold engine.

I have never had a 4 stroke flood out on me where I've had to change the plug, usually its to lean.

I also don't fully agree with having to leave the throttle at idle or close it as tight as you can, etc. Many times I open my throttle about 1/8th throttle to start it when hot. Hold it steady, DON'T pump it, when you open it, open slowly so you don't pump a bunch of fuel into a hot engine. It'll start right up....... go ride.

To many 2 stroke guys telling people how to start a 4 stroke. : )

Just my two cents.

i agree with rmzenduro, i usually have to hold it 1/8 when hot, but my rmz is way easier to start than alot of other 250f's

check plug, and valve clearance like everyone said