Sign in to follow this  

10w40 or 15w50

The place I'm looking to buy oil from only has maxima maxum extra 15w50 whats the diffrence and where else can I find this oil cuz motosport doesn't have maxum extra.

07 yz250f and it's 40's but I don't wanna buy a case of oil just for the cold

Why not run shell rotella ? You can buy it at walmart for like 7 bucks a gallon. It's really good oil. Do a search most people prefer it to other oils.

I to Just got an 07 250F. Here in the Desert It can be 20 to 60 or more all in 1 day. I am using the Yamalube R 10-50W. But I like The Rotella Idea. This Bike seems to be hard on oil. Got to find something that meets the manuals requirements but does not cost 8 bucks a quart. How about the 14 buck each oil filter.

I to Just got an 07 250F. Here in the Desert It can be 20 to 60 or more all in 1 day. I am using the Yamalube R 10-50W. But I like The Rotella Idea. This Bike seems to be hard on oil. Got to find something that meets the manuals requirements but does not cost 8 bucks a quart. How about the 14 buck each oil filter.

I run shell rotella in my 07 yfz250. I'm also using Scott's re-usuable oil filter.:applause:

looks like Rotella , especially the synthetic will work well except on the coldest days when it is 20 to 35 in the mornings for me. Thanks

Yamaha says to use 10w-30; I run 10w-30 in freezing temperatures, and there are no problems. I would also have to say use a pure petroleum blend(more power).

I get my Maxima oil at: http://www.onoffroad.com/

Maxima Extra 10W40 is actually spec'd right on the borderline between 30 and 40 weight, so you can actually think of it as either a very "heavy 30" or a very "light 40". Their 15W50 is spec'd on the lower end of 50 weight, so it is a "lighter 50". I do wish they would also make Extra in 5W30 for very cold weather.

Here in the mild southwest I run 10W40 in winter and 15W50 in our very hot summers.

In Mass, I would probably run 10W40 in summer, and perhaps Klotz 10W30 or even Maxima Ultra 0W30 in very cold winter weather.

Am i right in saying that rotella is a diesel oil? Anyone ever tried the Havoline diesel oil 15W-40

Some good basic oil info: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Most engines have an integrated transmission, so you want the high pressure additives that you will only find in an API SG/JASO MA motorcycle specific oil.

While diesel and "heavy duty" oils have more high pressue additives than "car" oils, they still do not have the optimum amount for your transmission. And, diesel oils are getting reformulated, so all bets are off on what you might be getting in the future...........

I can't figure out why some folks are so facinated with "diesel" oils. Diesels run dirty, so diesel oils have huge amounts of detergents that are unnecessary in a gas engine. And consider that detergents themsleves have no lubricating ability, so all that detergent in there just reduces the lubricating ability of the base oil. This is a "compromise" that you don't need to make with a gas engine oil.

I Checked the Diesel Oils in Walmart today and found a Rotela Synthetic 5-40w for $14.25 a gallon. They had Mobil Syn - non Diesel - non Fuel saver 15-50 Not priced but seemed a good choice based on info I found on the Web about guys using non - Motorcycle oils in there MC. This site claimed Synthetic resists foaming and Shear better. Think I will stick with Yamalube until I can read some more of the 7 years of discussion$.. That Shear factor and Tranny lubrication is the Gray area to me.