Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Oldest person

i don't know if i understand your question differently, but i think john dowd turned pro at an early age.. teens?.., like most of the top riders do, and just continued to race until he was nice and old. as far as the oldest person to actually turn pro and compete in pro events.. heath voss didn't even start riding dirtbikes until he was like 16 i think, and turned pro in his 20's if i'm not mistaken - that stands out for me as one of the more extreme cases of a rider not turning pro until later in life and having some success. he was the world SXGP champion 2 years ago! (back when nobody cared about it) i'd be willing to bet there are some little-known privateer racers who were even later bloomers.

Dowd picked up his first bike when he was like 19 and turned pro at 25-26. He used to live right by me. David Kilgore turned pro at a later age, around 29 or so right?

I know Barry Cartsens qualified for a few outdoor Nationals last summer; and I know Bader Manneh is trying to qualify at a few SXs this winter. Both are older than Dowd, I believe. I'm not sure how old they were when they turned pro.