Sign in to follow this  

Washington Plate/Registration question

I live in Wenatchee, and I just recently bought a 2004 KTM 450 MXC with a Wa. plate. After changing over the registration, I got a letter from the Dept. of Licesnsing stating that I need to have an inspection done by the WSP. I know the things that I need on the bike, but my question is.....How can the state revoke a registration from a vehicle?

Now, I'm sure people are going to say just get all the things I'll need to pass the inspection.....well, I did have a face to face with someone at the WSP, and he told me they will also be looking for a stamp on the frame stating "Off-Road" and also a sticker on the frame from the National Transportation Safety Board:thumbsdn: . Both of these I'm sure will give me problems. Has anyone else ran into this problem, or am I the first? The same guy at the WSP office told me that Olympia has someone on full time looking at "all" the registered motorcycles in the state. Heads Up!:applause:

I have a plated WR426 and have been informed by a state patrol friend that when the bike changes hands the plate will go bye bye.

Mine came from the dealer with a plate brand new! in 01

I live in Wenatchee, and I just recently bought a 2004 KTM 450 MXC with a Wa. plate. After changing over the registration, I got a letter from the Dept. of Licesnsing stating that I need to have an inspection done by the WSP. I know the things that I need on the bike, but my question is.....How can the state revoke a registration from a vehicle?

Now, I'm sure people are going to say just get all the things I'll need to pass the inspection.....well, I did have a face to face with someone at the WSP, and he told me they will also be looking for a stamp on the frame stating "Off-Road" and also a sticker on the frame from the National Transportation Safety Board:thumbsdn: . Both of these I'm sure will give me problems. Has anyone else ran into this problem, or am I the first? The same guy at the WSP office told me that Olympia has someone on full time looking at "all" the registered motorcycles in the state. Heads Up!:applause:

They find those by the VIN. I suspect you can order a new sticker for it. Maybe from a different model. Or peel off the off road ones now? They are cracking down big time on this. I have a plated 2004 WR450F, but my VIN doesnt show up as off road at all. :applause:

I have a plated WR426 and have been informed by a state patrol friend that when the bike changes hands the plate will go bye bye.

Mine came from the dealer with a plate brand new! in 01

Well 'aint that just swell!:lol: I guess it's time to buy an '07.:applause: If I could only get my wife to OK it. But I'll just get the look.:applause:

They find those by the VIN. I suspect you can order a new sticker for it. Maybe from a different model. Or peel off the off road ones now? They are cracking down big time on this. I have a plated 2004 WR450F, but my VIN doesnt show up as off road at all. :applause:

My vin/mso states it as KTM 450 MXC/G Racing.

Thanks Oregon! I suppose I can now officially give up on trying to get my GG300 plated. I wonder how the Canadians would feel about me living with them but working down here? On a posititve note I might be less likely to get a DUI if my bike is not plated and I am doing some midnight hotlaps this summer.

Paul B

Nope, supposedly I can get a DUI on my tractor. I had a logger do some work for me and he had to start his truck with a breath tester interlock deal. He was on private property and the cop came in and gave him a DUI. He told me to always lock the gate behind you when on private property.

On the other hand maybe this could be a good thing. Perhaps since the WSP is doing inspections again we will be able to do legitimate conversions again. Circa 1997 I took an XR400 to the WSP in Bellevue and they gave me a slip of paper to take to the DOL saying give this man a plate! I would love to see a return to those days. Seems like if some methhead can graft a harley and a volkwagon together with a beer keg for a fuel tank and drive it on public roads to get a pack of smokes I should be able to ride my enduro bike on a looging road in the middle of nowhere.

Paul B

An old timer told me Washington state did this before long ago. I am watching with interest cause my KX500 was dual sported in 2000 after the Washington State Patrol OKed it.

My 2004 525 was dual sported brand new from the dealers floor but it was still 2003 when I purchased it and they plated it. The dealer told me that if I plated the 525 from the dealers floor I would never be able to go back on it. It would be a street bike forever (Condottas was the dealer).

Someone has told me the cut off date was any dirt bikes that were plated from 2004 on. Now we will see how much truth there was to that rumor.

If this is all true it will not be a loop hole to have more dirt bikes tested and accepted. This will only be used by the State Patrol to confiscate plates. If all of this comes to pass it will just be another case of the State of Washington socking it to us in order to let us get the plates (in my case it cost $700+ to make the conversion per bike) and then turning around and stealing our plates from us. A State that can have its cake and eat it too. When are Washingtonians gonna learn that electing liberals only leads to a loss of freedom on every front. We are in danger of loosing our right to bear arms and ride our ORVs in this state. Down with the totalitarian hypocrites.

Sorry for the emotional outburst but I just couldn't help myself.

...Sorry for the emotional outburst but I just couldn't help myself.

OMT, back in 1995, we had a little deal on the ballot to "adopt California emissions" and I think most folks thought it was limited only to cars. The stickers they're looking for is the emission certification, which all dirt bikes wont have. KTM in 07 came out with that new 450EXC, all 100% road legal, but its a full blown dirt bike. That might be our only option. And you cant legally modify it in any way. Not even rejet the carb. We know thats not going to fly. Its just going to get worse. I said to myself, when I can no longer get a plate for a dirt bike, I'll be done spending my money in this area. And thats been a bunch over the last few years! But I doubt they really care about my money unless they are taxing me for it. They'd rather I quit riding off road.

I wish I could plate my 06 wr250f I just want to be able to ride around town its dumb that I could go and make a bike out of scrap metal and get it licensed but not a factory bike.

Well, I keep putting off getting the inspection done. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it. I'm not going to waste my money on buying all the "street legal" equipment either. It pretty much sounds like I'll lose the plate. BUT....if there's anyone here in the Wenathcee area that would like to donate such items :applause: (for a limited time of course....they would be returned), for the off chance I could skate by, that would be much appreciated. Just PM me, and we could figure something out. I'm guessing I'll get the inspection done the week of March 5-10...Wish me luck.

Good luck Traildigger. Prior to the mid '80's, you could plate just about anything. I bought a new 1981 KDX that I got plated without any problem, and it didn't have any of the required equipment on it. In '85 I bought another new KDX, and was told it was a dirt bike and could not be licensed. What I don't understand is, why doesn't the state want our money? They would get a lot more revenue out of a plate than they do from an ORV tag. I for one am not going to ride a real dirt bike much on the street, and most of you are probably the same.

Sorry to steal some from this thread but what if I bought a licensed wr250f from oregon or idaho could it be plated here in Washington? I know that used to be the case.

Well, I keep putting off getting the inspection done. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it. I'm not going to waste my money on buying all the "street legal" equipment either. It pretty much sounds like I'll lose the plate. BUT....if there's anyone here in the Wenathcee area that would like to donate such items :applause: (for a limited time of course....they would be returned), for the off chance I could skate by, that would be much appreciated. Just PM me, and we could figure something out. I'm guessing I'll get the inspection done the week of March 5-10...Wish me luck.

OK, here is the risk you will run on doing nothing. If they dont hear from you, the title will get purged from the database. In other words, no paperwork showing anything on it. Fix, you must have it WSP inspected now, unless you just want to title it as an ORV. Had this happen to a buddy of mine who had a 1999 KDX220. I also ride with a buddy who owns a 2004 KDX220 and its plated. He just renewed his tabs for another year.

Sorry to steal some from this thread but what if I bought a licensed wr250f from oregon or idaho could it be plated here in Washington? I know that used to be the case.
I did that with a 2001 WR426F I bought from Oregon. It was tight, but I made it. Now I dont think you'd make it.

OMT, back in 1995, we had a little deal on the ballot to "adopt California emissions" and I think most folks thought it was limited only to cars. The stickers they're looking for is the emission certification, which all dirt bikes wont have.

Neither will pre-1995 cars have that sticker. So are they gonna jerk the plates on them too? Double standard hypocrisies have no place in law. This is obvious bias against one type of vehicle and should be unlawful to show such prejudice in any state in this country.

If every dirt biker in this state would have voted conservatively last governors race this most likely would not be happening. The race was that close that we alone could have turned the tide had we been united. Too bad.

That Money losing, blame casting Demo bitch aint my Gov.

My title reads WR426 FN G/CYC

I have WR450F G/CYC They can look at my VIN anyway they want, it doesnt show up as off road! I might be one of only a handful of off road bikes left with a plate. If I sold it,t he new owner can transfer it and keep the plate. Hmmm, I have been thinking about the new KTM 450EXC 50 state emission legal...

We al know Rossi won, Gregoire just was able to steal enough votes...:applause: :applause: