Is My 06 Rmz A Time Bomb

The April Dirt Rider just came out with a long term test on the 06 RM-Z 450. It wasn't good. The engine failed at 84 hours. The lower end let go and took the top with it. This seems that this is becoming a "common problem" with our brand of choice. Mine has 10 hours total and seems to run fine, but I am scared of what the future holds. Even with constant maintance I still am scared to ride it.

What do you guys think? Is the 06 450 Suzuki a time-bomb?

At least they made it 84 hours. Mine only lasted tops 60 hours. Bottom end rod bearings went out cooking my hold motor. Keep a close eye on your old filter for metal shavings. That where it starts. Zookie needs to step up to the plate & take some responbility in what they call rod bearings.:applause: :applause:

I don't understand how this problem came up so quickly, before I bought mine last fall people were raving about the reliability, now they are seemingly blowing up all the time. Why wasn't this talked about before?? The RMZ450 has been out since 2005.

ya, thats what i dont understand. why last year didnt they have this problem with the 05 in a long-term test? was there a major change in the low end from 05 to 06?

I don't understand how this problem came up so quickly, before I bought mine last fall people were raving about the reliability, now they are seemingly blowing up all the time. Why wasn't this talked about before?? The RMZ450 has been out since 2005.
It has been talked about alot in the 06 year. The 05 had cylinder problems that kind of masked the rod problem.Suzuki new about their rods for a while and I have written about it on here as have others.I even gave my pin, rod and bearings to their rep at an amuteur open last year.If they would have OWNED up to their problem I might have bought another Suzuki instead we are racing YZ250 2-strokes now and I love having a Peace Of Mind when we start the Yamaha up.

It has been talked about alot in the 06 year. The 05 had cylinder problems that kind of masked the rod problem.Suzuki new about their rods for a while and I have written about it on here as have others.I even gave my pin, rod and bearings to their rep at an amuteur open last year.If they would have OWNED up to their problem I might have bought another Suzuki instead we are racing YZ250 2-strokes now and I love having a Peace Of Mind when we start the Yamaha up.

I agree. Also had mine looked at by the local rep and he suggested I sucked dirt in that caused the issue. It is not possible to suck that much dirt past the cylinder on these motors. One look at my rod pin and you know it was made out of junk metal.

I have an "05" that I bought new. About 100 hours on it and no problems. Just put about another 3 on it today. Nothing but oil changes and air filter cleanings and cam chain adjusts. I ride in the Las Vegas area. Hot, dry, nasty and lots of rocks. Windy on most days too kicking up a lot of dust. Very reliable machine so far! The wind was so strong today it was hard to float the front end over the whoops or catch any air without getting blown to the other side of the trail. Unbelievable, only crashed once!

I have an "05" that I bought new. About 100 hours on it and no problems. Just put about another 3 on it today. Nothing but oil changes and air filter cleanings and cam chain adjusts. I ride in the Las Vegas area. Hot, dry, nasty and lots of rocks. Windy on most days too kicking up a lot of dust. Very reliable machine so far! The wind was so strong today it was hard to float the front end over the whoops or catch any air without getting blown to the other side of the trail. Unbelievable, only crashed once!

Dont take this wrong but, You suck!! We have had nasty weather here for about 3 months! I would love to be out riding! Fingers crossed for next weekend!

Good to hear your RMZ is doing well!

Dont take this wrong but, You suck!! We have had nasty weather here for about 3 months! I would love to be out riding! Fingers crossed for next weekend!

Good to hear your RMZ is doing well!

you guys make me sick. i got a bad feaver to ride so bad, the only thing that comes close is a gt-snow racer. last ride was early dec. now we have 3 ft of snow to melt........that sucks.....