Sign in to follow this  

Is a 450R a good trail bike???

I just bought an '02 CRF 450R. I am used to riding 2 stroke 125s on the trails but i got a great deal on this bike so I bought it. But Im not sure how it will work out on the trails! It has a trail tech on it and I was doing 25 in 1st gear! Is that normal for these bikes or does someone have the wrong sprocket combo on it? And also, how do you know if the top end needs replaced? Its about 20 F here in PA right now and it wont start unless I put a heater on it for a few minutes. Thanks for the help!!

I have a 94 CR250 and an 06 CRF450R, woods only. You'll probably have to change the sprockets to get the gearing right for your application. And my advice is to not skimp on the bike protection...skid plate, radiator guards/supports, pipe guard, etc...all these pieces will cost you far less in the long run. And set up your suspension for your weight and the terrain, level of aggressiveness, etc. That will make a huge difference.

I love my CRF in the woods, as well as my 250. The CRF has gobs of power when you need it, but contrary to some other posts I've read, I don't see a lot of uncontrolable power from it...

If you check out my garage, you can see some of the mods I've done for off-road/woods...

I would put a picture of it on here if I knew how, but It has a carbon fiber pipe gaurd and a skid plate and disc guards. Im not sure what sprockets are on it, but like i said, it got up to 25 on the Trail Tech quite easily in 1st gear. what is a good sprocket combo for average trails??

You bet, I ride single track,trails sandy/hard pack, rocky whatever it doesn't matter. My 02' will go anywhere and I wouldn't trade it for anything :applause:

• Like 1

I have an 05 thats almost stock. In the woods you need a good clutch finger to keep it from stalling, Tall first gear can also be a challenge at times.

Overall, it works pretty well. Lots of power and very quick throttle response can be a help or hindrance depending on the situation and your ability.

For allot of woods riding I would think about some of the mods suggested by other that use them for woods riding.

The bike is very light and maneuverable in the tight stuff.

A heavier flywheel will make the bike less prone to stalling and easier in the tight stuff. Regearing the bike will help as well. Like sonobob said "don't skimp on protection" and tune the suspension for your riding style.

I would put a picture of it on here if I knew how, but It has a carbon fiber pipe gaurd and a skid plate and disc guards. Im not sure what sprockets are on it, but like i said, it got up to 25 on the Trail Tech quite easily in 1st gear. what is a good sprocket combo for average trails??

So far, I haven't changed the final drive ratio on my '06. Stock is 13/48 = 3.69 f.d. ratio. I may well try a ratio of 3.77, which would be 13/49; but for the north Georgia mountains and the trip I made to Hatfield/McCoys in WVa last summer, I haven't seen a huge glaring need for a big ratio change, or a flywheel weight. (that's most likely because of all the time I've spent on two-strokes) But I'm not at all opposed to experimentation. I definitely like the hydraulic clutch system I put on it. Now to get one for the 250....

Oh, and if you open a free photobucket account, you'll be able to post up with some pic's...

Definitely a great bike for the trails!! I have an '05 450R and it does just fine on the twisties. Everytime I take my friend's bikes (450Xs and WR450s) for a quick ride, I always can't wait to get back on the quicker reving, faster, and lighter motocross "R" version. You'll need to be a little more deft at using the clutch in those slow spots, but its worth the trade offs.

Nothing makes the R better at slow speed/technical stuff than a Rekluse, not a flywheel weight ,(I'm a fan of those, but it's not even close)not "deft clutch work", nothing.

Just imagine riding your R off-road,and NEVER having to worry about even touching the clutch at all, for any reason or conditions,and imagine not using your kick starter either once underway.

You give up nothing in performance, hey Nathan Woods does pretty good with it on his KXF450, off-road, WORCS ,Endurocross, loves it in motocross...

Try one guys, you won't be sorry I promise you. Doug

Nothing makes the R better at slow speed/technical stuff than a Rekluse, not a flywheel weight ,(I'm a fan of those, but it's not even close)not "deft clutch work", nothing.

Just imagine riding your R off-road,and NEVER having to worry about even touching the clutch at all, for any reason or conditions,and imagine not using your kick starter either once underway.

You give up nothing in performance, hey Nathan Woods does pretty good with it on his KXF450, off-road, WORCS ,Endurocross, loves it in motocross...

Try one guys, you won't be sorry I promise you. Doug

I have no doubt about the benefits stated in every post I've read about them. I guess having ridden nothing but two strokes until last spring when I bought my 450R, the clutchwork has become one of those operations that I'm not even really aware of, like shifting or braking, etc.

Not to mention what little clutch work is even needed with the CRF compared to a two stroke in the woods...

Kmelat I see your from Pa. What part are you from? I myself am from

central Pa. I ride alot in the Shamokin area. I have an 06 450 and love

it as stock. I believe in some instances you do have to get clutch happy

in the tight stuff. Shamokin area is mostly coal hills, which even at my weight of 250lbs the bike has plenty of grunt with the stock gearing. My riding background consist of the entire XR line with a couple of KTM 2strokes thrown into the mix. I myself compare the 450 to a 2stroke which I see you are use to. Last spring I took it down to Hatfeild/Mccoy and was able to ride it on every trail, even the single track trails (which are some of the tightest that I have been on.)Definitely recommend this place to ride, it is a true test area of any bike.

I have an 05 CRF450R and an XR600. I love the XR600 on trails and the desert. No radiators to munch in a crash, runs cool, loads of low end power and has never given me a problem. Plus the XR600 is street legal when land use issues come up with the red sticker on my CR. The XR600 has lights for night riding and rides that I find myself out further then I expected. If you only have one bike the CR450R is great, but if you can save up a little and get a reliable used XR that you can put all the protection equipment on, a license plate and an oversized tank then you'll never have to worry about ruining your perfect track bike.

Last spring I took it down to Hatfeild/Mccoy and was able to ride it on every trail, even the single track trails (which are some of the tightest that I have been on.)Definitely recommend this place to ride, it is a true test area of any bike.

No doubt about it! Went to Hat-Mac for the first time last Aug., had a great time. Going back sometime in June...if you're up for it, PM me for details...

Sorry for the late reply away from the computer.We normally go in June but this year we are planning late Sept. Last year in June it was in the 90s.A little warm for us.

Sorry for the late reply away from the computer.We normally go in June but this year we are planning late Sept. Last year in June it was in the 90s.A little warm for us.

That's about where the temps were last Aug. when we went. We were thinking first half of June might not be that bad. We could be wrong though...

The CRF450r is a bitchen all around bike. It has the perfect motor, great handling and ergos too. My only complaint, like all the others, is that first gear is too tall. When you are riding tight/technical first gear stuff, you have to really be on/off the clutch too much and I myself tend to stall a lot.

Is it a good trail bike?On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8. Now out in the dez or on the track it's a 10!

• Like 1

My only complaint, like all the others, is that first gear is too tall.

I agree,and that's why the Rekluse is so nice on the R. You can get away with murder with that tall first gear and never stall it,and never touch the clutch.

It's not the optimal high performance off-road bike when it comes to really tight stuff, the X is better at it in a lot of ways. It depends on your type of riding, you can sure ride the R in nasty stuff , a Rekluse makes it a whole lot easier but it's hardly optimal or even near optimal if really tight stuff is your favorite. That kind of riding is my least favorite, I like wider, faster trails with good hills and elevation changes,faster Hare Scramble courses, and if I'm not on a track that's what I seek out. Any really nasty stuff I'll just get through to get to where I want to ride ! In that kind of riding the R is awesome.

If what I was into was the really tight and nasty stuff I'd be on a good two stroke-with a Rekluse too ! That Dirt Bike article with an RMZ450 vs. an RM250, both set up nicely for off -road including a Rekluse on the RM-which they couldn't stop praising-,was a very telling article. They had a 5 mile course set up , a lot of it very nasty, and regardless of what the rider felt, every one of them was at least 30 seconds faster per lap on the two stroke.

That is a very big deal. Doug

Yea, im in Northwestern PA... up around Grove City, Clarion area. We have a lot of nice wooded trails with some hills and creeks. I havent ever really traveled to ride elsewhere. But I cannot wait to be able to ride this 450!