Sign in to follow this  

drz250 Headlight off switch??

Was wondering if it is ok to install a switch to shut off the 55 watt headlight??

I did not know if rest of system would overload or would regulator compensate for this. As I ride mostly on my farm, I seldom need a light on during the day. :applause: If ok does anyone sell a good switch for this purpose?? Thanks.

Another option is to take the bulb out.... simplicity.

Get in touch with the company that makes the duel sport kits. Baja Kits or somthing like that. They will sell you a switch and know how it will effect the bike. I have called for a question and the seemed knowledgable and helpful.

Baja design would be a very good choice but if unable to contact them..

I plan to do the same thing to my DRZ and can't imagine Suzuki designing a bike that would damage the electrical system if the headlight burned out.

I'm going to use a bar mount switch box that I have on hand. Very light, I think I purchased it from JC Whitney to use on my MG Quota but never got around to installing it.

Two switches.. one for turning off the low beam (usually always on) which will allow the high beam to be instantly turned on with the handlebar switch, and one for the 4w running light or computer. If I needed just one switch I would probably head down to the hardware store and install an inexpensive inline ac light switch.

This mod should aid starting with the button and provide a very little more oomph when rock crawling I bet. It also saves your expensive bulb for when you really need it. I would check it occasionally just in case.

I am in the midst of a s/l conversion on my DRZ and I find the hardest thing to fabricate so far is the chainguard (required here in Ma.)

Don't waste the time or money on that.

I've done this and it's easy for farm riding as well. You reach up behind the light from the clutch lever side of the bike and find a white 3 pronged wire connection. Disconnect it and your light is off. Leave the prong out where you can see and then if you need the light you just hook it back up. I even removed the 'locking' tab on the connector as it's plenty tight without it

Thanks for ideas. The light is going out one way or the other.:applause:

Thanks for ideas. The light is going out one way or the other.:applause:

If you don't like having to pull out the connection, you can also simply get a cheap button or toggle switch at a hardware store for $1 and splice it in.