Sign in to follow this  

Need help with timing on 00 wr250

Whats up guys

I am very familiar with wr/yz 426 timing but I know nthing abouut a 250. I have a friend who has a 00 wr 250 that he just got that did not run. He rebiilt the top-end and now the bike runs extreamly lean. The biggest problem is that it is very hard to start. He installed a bigger piolet jet but still the pipe turnes red hot within the first minute of running. He timed the bike by an '04 wr 250 manual. I have a sneeking suspision that the timing is off (diffrent for a 00). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :applause:

I have ran my 426 for 3 years tuned to perfection and never saw my head pipe turn red. I have seen other bikes turn red before but never in the first minute of idleing and never this hot.... the next person to reply to this thred needs to be older than 16, with hair on his nuts, grease under his finger nails, and know &%$#@! he's talking about. Your cooperation is appreciated!

the problem might because he has a prototype bike because they didn't make 250f in 2000:excuseme: sorry for being a ass why not go but a 2001 manual

read the sticky saying read before posting

It says 250f pipes can and WILL glow.

mine glows after about a minute maybe a little less of just sitting there. Now if it didnt go away when riding, then something would be wrong.

These engines are the same from 01-04, the timing should be the same

If you are having problems starting your an 250f, recheck your valves clearances and install an 03 exhaust cam.

I had a hard time starting my 02 YZ250F, it was harder to start than my YZ426. It did not kick harder, it was just a bugger to start. I did the 03 cam mod (with autodecompression) and now it fires up in one to two kicks hot or cold.