Sign in to follow this  

thinking getting an MX bike

Thinking ABOUT getting an MX bike the title should say...lol

Me and my close friend are thinking about splitting in on a used MX bike to take to the track and screw around with. It's going to be a 50/50 deal and we don't want to go over $2k total for the bike. I ride a KDX and he rides a TTR-230. I'd like to stick with a 2 stroke because i comfortable working on them given the nature of buying a used bike. We both weigh about the same, he's 5'10 183 and i'm 6'3 190-95 depending on how much fast food i ate that week. I found a '01 CR125 for 1500, the bike was clean minus a few scratches on the plastic and a worn rear tire, has FMF fatty and shorty. I also found a '96 YZ250 for $1200 that looked to be in great shape. The motor was clean, tires were in good shape, FMF fatty pipe, renthal sprockets, new plastics with graphic kit. Owner said the bike was never raced but only riden on his property. I'm kind of fond of nice older bikes, so is my friend, even though they lack todays technology especially when it comes to the suspension. I also found an '02 CR250 for $2,000 but it seemed like it needed a good $300-$400 to get looking and running up to our standards. I'm going to keep looking but my friend and I really like the '96 YZ because of it's semi old school appeal.

id get the yz250. it will be faster than the 125, but then again, if your friend is on a ttr230 then a 125 will probably be better for him.

The YZ seems perfect. I would jump all over that. Do not waste time with a 125.

Use the money that you save to upgrade some parts for the track. You'll need stronger bars, asv levers, chain, sprocket, tires, etc...

Those are the things that you will wear out at the track.

I'd go with the YZ. Ask to pull the pipe off and look at the piston. That way you'll know if it is in current need of a top end or not. Even if you have to replace the top end it will last longer before you have to do it again. Until '05 I had an older '94 KX250 that we kept around for fun and really, even as old as that bike was, we kept the engine fresh and it was still a competitive bike for a beginner or junior level rider. And like Maurice said, you'll still have some extra $ left to upgrade some things you want ....

Like all these guys have said, find the cleanest Yamaha you can get your hands on. They were (are) the best 250 2 strokes since about, oh, 98. The only competition for them is a Suzuki, but I've not heard about their reliability. The Yamaha 2 strokes are reliable, period.

Just my 2 pennies