Sign in to follow this  

Spoke problems

I have a '02 XR400 and my spokes are bent and I think stripped at the wheel. It has really affected my riding as I'm sure y'all can imagine :applause: . I'm trying to figure what the best fix/purchase is for me. First off, is my current wheel fixable at all? Do you recommend I get a new/used wheel, and what brand for the best price? If anybody has a 18 X 2.5 they are trying to get rid of please let me know.

My dad had a cracked rim and ended up going with a Excel rim, spoke and nipple set. Ended up costing a good amount of money, but installing wasn't that difficult (for me). Also looks great.

I still have a bunch of info in case you are planning on truing and lacing the rim yourself. It's actually fairly easy, just a bit time consuming.

If you want you can examine the rim and make sure it hasn't become an oval or anything and nothing has been damaged, then you are probably good to re-use it.

I still have a full set of used spokes and nipples from my dads XR600 (same as XR4) if you are keeping your old rim. Nothing wrong with them, a little dirty but will still work fine. If you want them PM me and we can discuss shipping etc.

The best thing to do is keep spokes tight and adjusted before problems pop up. Loose spokes are like rust, the problem just grows worse and worse.

I would look for a local dirt wheel builder, unless a local shop has a lot of experience rebuilding wheels. For not much money, you/he could have the rim re-spoked if needed. (I think it is under $100) Or just re-trued. Then keep the spokes well adjusted.

If you don't fix the spokes, you can damage the rim (more) or even pull spokes out of the hub. More money.

Luderz, if you want the spokes PM me in 3 days, another guy PM'd me asking for them and I'm giving you first bids if you're interested.