Sign in to follow this  

KX seat and subframes?

Ok I have a 1999 125 subframe and a 2001 125 seat. It lines up just fine. I bought another seat becasue I di dnoot like the condition of my 2001. The new one is supposedly a 2002. It is longer than the 2001 seat by 1/4 and the pan is different though. It has a smooth bottom not jagged with pillars like the 2001. The vendor says it is a 2002. I don't think so since the subframe for 2000-2002 were the same. The 1999 subframe was different in part number but the geomerty and size were the same through 2002 hence my 2001 seat fitting like a glove.

Anybody have a picture of the bottom of a 2002 seat? I think it was a 2003, It looks different. Sleeker and longer.

Thanks Dave.

The 2001 and 2002 subframe are the same part number and the fender is the same part number. The side panels are different though. The 2001 and 2002 seat should be interchangable, just the side panels matter I suspect. No?

Found my problem though. I just looked up the part numbers from the bottom of the seat. I figured it out. My "2001" seat is actually a 1999 seat not a 2001 like advertised. I tell you I have bought and rebought more crap from ebat due to misleading or wrong info. My dad used to say, "rarely does someone sell a car because it runs too well."

If it is parted out on ebay there is likey a reason. I got more crap parts and my 2001 seat is an example. Oh the 1999 subframe that works with 2000-2002 bikes like they swore up an down... Wrong.

Now I need another freakin subframe. Arghh!

The idea to buy a bike in parts from ebay was a neat idea but honestly many of the parts are crap. I had to buy 2 sets of forks becasue one set was damaged. I got a partial refund but the aggrivation is endless.

Here is the list of purchas I had to do several times due to defect or crappy condition

4 radiators

2 seats

2 subframes

2 sets of forks

2 linkages

AND I am soooooo tempted to get anothr frame as the one I got has a dent. Not a bad one and the tube is not bent but the area above the swing arm bolt clearly hit a rock and dented the tube. Another omision in the Ebay listing. Just knowing it is thre kills me.

then again... I got brand new Applied clamps for $50, Talon wheel and Excel rim in incredible shape for $200, the secod set of radiators are almost new whole front brake assebmly from lever to caliper n awsome condition for $40 so it is a crap shoot I guess is what I am saying.

You know, I have never tried to swap in between bikes as far as a 2002 seat goes, I KNOW they are different, but they may interchange. I have a 99 KX250 in the garage, and my 2000 KX 125, do you need me to do any measuring??

Dave

Naw thanks though Dave. I have a 2001 frame. The part number is the same for the frame for 2000-2002. The subframe is the same for 01-02 as well but different for 00. The side panels are different for 01-02 and the seat numbers are different as well. If the sub frame is the same and the frame is the same it must be plastic, seat padding and panel alignment. hech the rear fender is the same 01-02 as well.

Bottom line frame and body parts won't work with 00_ bikes and 00 had slight varaitions that may casue SLIGHT fittment issues.

So, what I need to do is use 02 subframe, 02 seat, 02 side panels. The shrouds are the same for 00-02 and so it the rear fender. So it should line up if I use all 02 rear end parts on the 01 frame.

All right, now I am really confused myself, I just got on the AC racing website, and they show the same subframe from 99 to 02. I then got on the SDG seat website, and they fit 99 to 02. So what gives?? Is the factory stuff different?? I went out to the garage, and switched seats from the 99(stock) and the 00(moose). The seat that is on my 00 is one of the seats off my 01. SO the 01 seat fits the 99 in my garage and vice versa. You got me confused now too!!

Dave

I am confused too. The guy I got the 99 seat swears he took it off his 01.

The 99 seat has different hardware from the 2002 seat. Not sure about the 00 and 01. The 2002 seat is 1/4 inch longer than the 99. The bolts at the back of the seat on a 2002 seat do not line up with the 99 subframe. The 1999 seat lines up like a glove with the 99 subframe alright.

Also, you know the section under the seat that ssts on the subframe for support, the 02 seat misses that by 1/4 inch as well. Both the seat support and the seat bolts do not line up both are off by 1/4.

The 01 and 02 subframe are the same part number. 00 and 01 are different. Maybe the problem is the 02 seat but with the same subframe as 01 I can not see that.

I don't get it. I know this for sure the 99 subframe will not work with the 02 seat. You said the 02 seat was different.

Maybe that is the issue. How is it different?

All right, I found an interesting review for the 2002 KX. The gas tank is flatter, the seat is modified for more airflow to the airbox, and the sidepanels are revised to fit the new tank and seat. SOOO....The 02 seems to quite a bit different(especially since they look the same),I remember the 02 had different forks, but I forgot about alot of the little things they did in the "Carmichael" era. Heres a link, go to the bottom of the review for the highlights.:applause:http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=304488

Dave

The airbox makes no different. I have to fab one as the carb size and location are different.

Ok, looks like I will use the 99-01 stuff and sell the 02 seat.

So generally, the 99-01 bikes are the same and the the 99-02 are only partially the same due to mods during the "Carmichael era"?

Karl

AMn that is what it looks like. What adds confuson is the subframe sellers and seat sellers all call 99-02 the same ERA. It is close but expect fittment issues. I can scrunch my 02 seat and make it fit and most would not know the difference. I would though. Is it 1/4 shorter.

I may try putting the 02 seat foam and cover on the 01 seat.

2000 -2002 air box is the same though. The seat base changed in 02 and it is 1/4 longer in 02. Also taller flatter foam. Really visible when I side by side compare my 01 and 02 seat.

Now that you say that about the seat, can you slot the mounting brackets so they line up??

I am talking about where the brackets are held to the seat, where the 4 nuts are.:applause:

Think that might get you enough space??

Dave

So generally, the 99-01 bikes are the same and the the 99-02 are only partially the same due to mods during the "Carmichael era"?

Karl

That's what it's starting to look like, beware!! I always knew about the forks, but forgot about all the little stuff.

Dave

Never though of that! I may be able to slot the mounting brackets at the seat yeah. If I do that though, and move up the seat 1/4 inch I am not sure the panels will line up. 02 won't but maybe 01?

I pulled the foam out of the 02 and pulled the foam out of the 01. No questioon they are different length.

Ok here is a neat tip. My "01" seat I got from an 01 bike and I confirmed that it was on 01 bike actually has a seat pan part number for a 99. Sooooo at least some 01 bikes came from the factory with 99 seats but with different foam. Since the subframe is the same 00-02 then it is safe to assume those bikes also have a 99 subframe. I can visibly see this in that the "01" seat I got fits like a glove with my 99 subframe. The 02 seat.... not even closr.

I bought an 02 tank and 02 subframe. I am going to sell my 99 subframe and 01 tank. The 02 tank was flatter so the 01 is not optimal.

Hey what up See-Are-Ef-Too-Thir-T-Ef!

As far as bing done, I have 98% of the parts. The swingarm and engine is at the machine shop still. It has been there for a month. Backed up they are. I should have it next week though. I pick up my suspension today. I had it completly torn down and rebuilt by PaloVerde Suspension/MX-TECH. $375 worth of work.

I am waiting for new KIPS parts. The I will rebuild the motor. Then weld in new motor mounts, blow off the powder coat reapint it and bolt it all up.

I figure a month or so.