New to San Diego - Where to ride???

Welcome to San diego. America's finest city for sure.

I'm fairly new to San Diego as well, but I will second what everyone is saying about the desert. Get some paddle tires and go to buttercup for some dune fun. My first time in the dunes was two weeks ago and I had a blast.

There are plenty of riding areas but hopefully someone will chime in on nice riding areas. Trails etc.

Corral Canyon was destroyed in the fire last year. They are still in the process of restoring it and I read somehwere that it may open in the not too distant future. The bad news is a CRF is a red sticker bike and Corral has a pretty limited red sticker season. The desert is wide open with lot's of opportunities (Ocotillo, Plaster City, Superstition, Glamis, Gordons, Buttercup) but this years season is winding down pretty quickly. Soon (6 - 8 weeks) it will be hellaciously hot until October. So there's not much locally through the summer other than the local tracks. The eastern Sierras offer some nice summer riding but the drive is 4 - 5 hours. Forget trying to plate the CRF. It's a red sticker bike.

I would imagine it is a matter of time before you get a letter from the DMV about wanting their plate back. They seem to have been really cracking down on bikes that are plated that shouldn't be.

I still wish I had a plate on my 04 Husky... opens up so many more riding places!

Red sticker season just got expanded at Corral Canyon 3 mos, to April 30:thumbsup:

I'm a PLATE only bike myself... no red sticker OR green sticker. ? All to my advantage!

Hah-that's what you think!

hondacrf450r.jpg

Nice work!!! Now let's go rip it up!!!

Staying conscious of 'what' we're tearing up of course!! ?

I would imagine it is a matter of time before you get a letter from the DMV about wanting their plate back.

Now... how many do you know personally?! :applause: This issue we read about, and hear about is yes... a reality... but, they aren't after us all just yet. Let's keep the hear-say to a minimum until our mailboxes are full of letters. ?

Until then... let's :applause:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=32971

That's mostly DUAL purpose bikes right?? Not us... OFF-road bikes... with a hint of a license plate kinda place.... or am I mistaken?

:applause:

What do you mean? The guy says he had a plate... :applause:

You're right though. SDAR is a dual-sport club. But people meet up and ride their smokers in the desert too.

Now... how many do you know personally?! :applause: This issue we read about, and hear about is yes... a reality... but, they aren't after us all just yet. Let's keep the hear-say to a minimum until our mailboxes are full of letters. ?

Well, myself for one. Got my letter in April of 06 from DMV wanting the plate back for my 04 Husky and to turn it over to a Green sticker. Also three other Husky owners I know and one KTM owner. And yes, I personally know, ride and drink with these people. Not just hearsay through a message board.

Now I have to go finish putting my bike back together for the race on Sun. :applause:

Well, myself for one. Got my letter in April of 06 from DMV wanting the plate back for my 04 Husky and to turn it over to a Green sticker. Also three other Husky owners I know and one KTM owner. And yes, I personally know, ride and drink with these people. Not just hearsay through a message board.

Now I have to go finish putting my bike back together for the race on Sun. :applause:

Odd that it's Huskys and KTMs... :applause: ...I'll surely be eatin' my words if I ever get a letter. ?

Until then...?

Just curious-how much bigger a fuel tank? Not really sure yet, but how long am I going to be able to ride before the stock tank runs dry. I've only had it out 3-4 hours at a time riding locally up some dirt fire trails nearby and normally have about a 1/2 tank left afterwards.

As far as the plate on my bike, the guy I bought it from said it falls under some 'grandfather' clause because it's an '04. It's been plated since almost new in '04.

BTW, that's one bad ass bike you have there johnnyairtime!