Used 1997 XR600R Questions HELP PLEASE

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not to Xr Hondas. I own a 1982 Honda XR200R. I'm looking to buy a newer XR. I was really looking for a XR400R but i've come across a good deal I think. Its a 1997 XR600R. Bone Stock. The guy is asking $1500. Its in average shape, a few scratches here and there. Is this in fact a good deal? I paid $800 for my 82' 200r. OH and this 600R is taged and street legal here in Missouri.

My only problem is that I really think i'd have more fun on a 400R. I'm 5'10" 200LBS Can you ride the 600 on tight technical trails or MX tracks for fun? I'm not going to competativley race either of them. I'm having a hard time deciding wether to go with a good deal now or wait to get what I think I really want. Thanks for the Advice.

Yes, you can ride the 600 on tight technical trails. I ride mine on anything and everything. The more technical the single track, the better I like it. It is a bit harder than a lighter bike, but I do OK. I don't think any of the XR's are suspended well for a MX track. XR's have suspension for the trails, not the triples. That said, the suspension on the 97 600 is much better than what you are used to on the 200. In 1991 the XR600 went to a cartridge fork. The power is not even comparable. The weight difference is 20 pounds between the 400 and the 600.

$1500 is a decent deal. Here is southern California they can go for much more than that.

I'd echo what cleonard said. I ride my 95 xr600r on pretty much anything double or singletrack. And I'm not exactly an expert with only 4 months of dirt riding. No MX, though, she's too heavy for that. I love the low end power on trails. My bro, who rides a mid 80s XR400, noted that I ride over a lot that he rides around. The power and soft suspension make up-and-over pretty easy. Falling sucks and pushing sucks due to the weight and size of the bike.

I paid 2k for mine this last fall, so 1500 sounds pretty good. As for the size, I'm 6'0" and 200 with short legs for my height. I think you'd be fine on it.

Newbie opinion is worth what you pay for it.

My only problem is that I really think i'd have more fun on a 400R. I'm 5'10" 200LBS Can you ride the 600 on tight technical trails or MX tracks for fun? I'm not going to competativley race either of them. I'm having a hard time deciding wether to go with a good deal now or wait to get what I think I really want. Thanks for the Advice.

When I was lookin into an XR, I aslo was torn between 400 and 600. My riding experience was minimal before purchase. Went the 600 route. 20 lbs heaver and 200 more ccs. I ride single track, fireroads and desert.

So to answer your question, you can ride tight technical trails on a 600.

Check the following: Steering head bearings for binding; wheel bearings for looseness; swing arm pivot for looseness; chain and sprockets for wear; pull the bike over on the sidestand and pull the rear wheel up and down to check for wear in the shock linkage and bearings; brake pads & rotors for wear; spin the wheels to check for bent/flat spotted rims; push the kickstarter through slowly a few times to check for good compression; start the engine and check for oil (blue)smoke and excessive internal engine noise; wipe the inside of the muffler tip with a rag, there should be no greasy deposit; pull the spark plug, the tip should be a light brown color with no oil deposits; sight the wheels, they should be in line with one another, not going different directions; ride the bike long enough to get the engine fully warmed up to see if anything turns up that you didn't already catch. Good luck.

Ive been on sportbikes, crusiers, italian flavors, and the XR may not have the biggest balls but it is the most fun.

Parts are easy to find, cheap for the most part, and the thing is bulletproof. You wont be sorry!

Looks like a great deal to me if it runs good. As for the post about not having the biggest balls, if the bike is decked out with the go fast goodies it will give any bike a run for their money in the desert. Even if the design is out dated. Remember this bike and the 650r were designed for wide open desert type racing. If you ride on tight single track such as in the woods they can be punishing. Since I do all my riding in the desert the XR6 will always be my favorite. I am on my 3rd in 20+ years and loved them all.

I was bumping it because i just want some more reassurance*. I dont ride wide open desert. Its mainly hay fields and trails. Is this a good bike for that kind of riding? Some people say it is, some say it isnt. Thats why i'm hesitating on pulling the trigger. I'm an expirenced rider. Will this bike be ok for trails?

I think this is a great deal. In fact, I thought about going and buying the bike myself. I would keep a close eye on the transmsission as I just dropped close to $1k repairing mine. Seems like third gear is the weak one, but this bike looks clean enough that it probably doesn't have any problems. If you decided to buy the bike and didn't like it I would buy it from you as long as it's still street legal. I'd also be interested in the desert tank if you don't want it. Let me know, thanks,

-Jed