Sign in to follow this  

Upcoming ride, no time... Worn out Boyesen Reeds or Good Stockers

Hey guys i pulled my reeds today because the bike has been giving me fits getting it started.

Sure enough the reeds in it are shot, they are floating above the block just a bit. The boyesen reeds i need are gonna take a week and a half to get in and i have two rides and a friendly race planned in between that time, so i am trying to get the best performance with what i have for now.

I have the stock reed block too, with a good set of fiberglass reeds.

What should i do to get the best performance with what i have? I'm guessing stock reeds are going to run better than worn out Performance reeds.

I have already order the boyesen replacements too, so no, this will not be permanent.

But who knows... help a guy out.

If you already have a stock reed cage and a set of good reeds for it, run that. It will run much better than the worn out set you have now.

Some people are telling me you can just flip them around and that will fix it...

will that work????

How long will it last?

Some people are telling me you can just flip them around and that will fix it...

will that work????

How long will it last?

it'll last as long as you need it too...take your stockers with you if you still feel uncertain

ok, i changed the reeds...

checked the

-spark plug

-carb

-top end compression

and i still doesnt want to start...

im really starting to get confused. What else is there to do?

I know the jetting is probably off a bit but i cant get it running long enough to adjust or even find out what need to be done.

I will kick it a bunch of times... it will finally spitter and sputter and then peeter out. When it is running it sounds like it is under water and im getting a ton of splooge out of the pipe.

I just cant get it going long enough to run... pissing me off

help please!

i think now maybe im not getting fuel...

it started today 1st kick and then peatered out in about 20 seconds... sounds like no fuel... but i dont know what to do.

The floats are set right i think, i dont know what else today.

1996 YZ250 with a Kehlin (sp) carb and a long rod kit, as well as other motor mods (good for about 51.5ish horsepower on a fresh top end and MR2) so it has the tendancy to run good but only in a vary narrow tuning range. In other words... all the crap the guy before me put on it makes it a PITA, very finicky.

The was rebuilt about 12 hours ago and has ran fine up until now.

I got new reeds on the bike which made a HUGE!! difference, first kick it ticked right over.

But now the bike only wants to run for about 20 some odd seconds and then cuts out like it runs out of fuel. :applause:

I set the floats to the standard 6 mm of hieght and have changed nothing else in the carberator.

Obviously the problem is tied into the carb and most likely the floats i changed, but i cant get it to run with dropping the level down to like 2mm. The problem with this is i heard that it would ruin the jetting, and that i would never be able to get it to run clean with the fuel that high in the bowl.

So jetting god... please help. :applause: Im kinda lost on this one:banghead:

you need to confirm fuel flow.if it ran before you adjusted the float height,i would go back and check your work.

O just checked it and it is sitting right around 6-6.5 mm

anything to look for in particular?

If it is set right i will fall within specs, right?

What else could there be, the hieght is set. I dont see any damage on the parts either... is there anything else to look at with the floats?

Should i go back to 2mm like before and just jet accordingly. Someone on the site said it would throw off the fuel pressure in the bowl, so idk.

Im an idiot... :lol: :lol:

I kind of miss something in the manual. When setting the hieght of the floats my needle valve spring was being compressed. That threw the setting WAY off.

I just changed it tonight and will go and fire the bad boy up tomorrow and see how she will do. :naughty::eek:

thanks for the help though.:applause:

190ish psi.

I think that would do it.

Again, the motor starts up first kick now and runs great for about 30 seconds and then it takes a dump. It has to be fuel but ive look at what i believe to be everything... what a mess.

i dont know i will have to check that... i should have thought of that before i asked. I will do it tommorow and check and let you know the results... keep the ideas coming.

Thanks, bryson