Sign in to follow this  

Most awesome bike I have ridden

I have an xr400, got my son a crf250x for xmas. Well last weekend I finally rode his 250 and pushed it.

I am 50, grew up racing saddleback and the likes. Road Hodaka, Penton, Elsinors etc. Stopped riding about 1980, Started again last year.

Well that 250 is a work of art. It wants to fly over any jump. It turns itself. In the desert East of Barstow we found a wash twisting and turning with 15 foot berms, went on for a couple of miles. I was railing the turns with 1 hand in 3rd gear. On the flat the bike tracks like a dream. Where my 400 plows and pushes the 250 floats and tracks. I now can understand just how riders can do the jumps they do.

I also rode a friends crf450x. I prefer the power of the 450 but the agility of the 250 is amazing.

I am soo glad I am riding again and sooo glad my son is now old enough to ride with me.

I'll be 49 this March and love my 250X that I picked up several months ago. The last bike I owned was a 2001 XR 400 too and agree the 250X is awesome machine, especially the nimbleness and usable power. As an older guy, I put on a TrailTech +11 flywheel and a Guts Racing tall soft seat with the step kit to get some cushion under my butt! The only other modification I am going to do is have the suspension dialed in, a friend had has his 2004 CRF 250X’s suspension dialed in by a local shop, what a difference! Back in the saddle again :applause: :applause:

Bart

Just turned 59 in January.....Wife bought a CRF150 play bike for me.....

I think she upped my life insurance at the same time also...ha ha ha

I've just steped down from a WR450. I do miss the power, but I don't miss the weight & effort it takes to ride the wet boggy trails I ride.

The main thing I love about the bike is the fact I can throw it at any hill or challenge and come out the other side with a grin on my face, not sweat.

CRF250X, great choice!

I have also stepped down from a WR450 and I agree with WR_Geezer except that I dont really miss the power either. I have only ridden the X a couple of times but it allready takes ages to get the smile off my face. :applause: :applause:

Well I sent the bike off to get a pro circuit pipe, new jets, airbox work, hand guards (with the alu frame ). Later on maybe I will add a scotts stabilizer. I will have to ride my sons 250 for a while and decide if I should get another 250 or the 450.

I love mine too, its easy to set up for different conditions......look at my avatar and you'll see what I mean !!

I agree with Rich. This bike is a do it all machine. My wife can tool around on it or it can run it in a hare scramble or a hundred mile day on the trail and compete with most bikes and I have not modded the engine at all!

Well Nathon there ya go talking about a 250 being the wifes bike, I guess a real man rides a 450.

Ahhh yessss,

my X is a great bike for what we do.Dessert and mountains.I wouldn't trade it for any other bike.

It's even better now,I mean way better.With my 07 R head Stage 1 cam,13.5

CP piston and a port job.It's like it's brand new but even better,I can't sleep at night,I just want to ride it.Man it's got some low end torgue.Crack that throttle and up we go.:applause: I never new what I was missing.

Its not the wifes bike. But it is suitable for many different levels of riders. Up here in the northwest with our funky terrain it will hang with a 450. Remember, 80% rider 20% bike!

I have an xr400, got my son a crf250x for xmas. Well last weekend I finally rode his 250 and pushed it.

I am 50, grew up racing saddleback and the likes. Road Hodaka, Penton, Elsinors etc. Stopped riding about 1980, Started again last year.

Well that 250 is a work of art. It wants to fly over any jump. It turns itself. In the desert East of Barstow we found a wash twisting and turning with 15 foot berms, went on for a couple of miles. I was railing the turns with 1 hand in 3rd gear. On the flat the bike tracks like a dream. Where my 400 plows and pushes the 250 floats and tracks. I now can understand just how riders can do the jumps they do.

I also rode a friends crf450x. I prefer the power of the 450 but the agility of the 250 is amazing.

I am soo glad I am riding again and sooo glad my son is now old enough to ride with me.

I have a similar story....Started riding at 10 yrs. old on a Sears 3 horse solid frame mini bike- moved up to a "coleman" mini bike with a 80cc 2 stroke motor-next bike was a 1976 kawi 100. Stopped riding after I blew up the trans on 79 kx125.Then I turned 18 I started to toy with snowmobiles and went way crazy with them for 15 years without a dirt bike. 8 years ago I decided to sell the snowmobile and buy dirt bikes for the entire family.I started out again on a fully restored 1990 yz 125 - Sold that and bought a 1994 yz 250 that was riden once but 6 years old (strange find but a brand new bike 6 yrs. old for 2000.00) Sold that and bought a 2005 leftover crf250x In Dec. 05'.Best money I have ever spent.Now at 44 years old I wish I would have never quit riding dirt bikes.

My boys , and our riding friends challenge ourselves with a 12 month riding plan that includes about three basic set ups on the bike : winter w/ studded tires - spring and fall Mud -summer hard pack - this bike does everything flawlesly - period. Stock is good but with a few mods you can really liven the motor up. Watch the maint. A clean air filter - frequent oil changes - and I run 100 octane race gas. Most awesome bike I have ever ridden.