Sign in to follow this  

gas mileage for hare-scramble

does anyone know how far you can go in a race situation on a standard tank of gas (1.9 gallons i think). im doing a hare-scramble in a few weeks and trying to figure out how if im going to need to pit for fuel. the race is 2 hrs plus a lap . riding a crf450r

I would say that you have a really good chance of needing to pit for gas. Pit early like around the 45min mark. That leaves room for making up ground and piece of mind for finishing the race.

That's my method anyways. Works for me.

It depends on how tight the track is and how much you are on the gas.

If you decide to stop or not, do yourself a favor and put a very small jug of fuel to be added and mark how much is in it, so when the race is over you can drain your fuel into that jug to see if you would have made it or not:thumbsup:

I would say (not know your riding style or track) you would probably make it unless you are one of the front runners that is on the pipe the whole time.

Depends completely on how fast you are. What class? I would say that since you don't know, you're probably just starting...so probably will be fine. I have friends who are mid-pack B riders who can make a race on a 1.9 gal 2-stroke tank. The faster you are, the morel likely you'll need to refuel.

2 strokes can sometimes make it the whole way. I would pit every 3 laps or so. If you are really going to get into it, might wanna look at an oversize tank.

you should be able to go about 30 miles on your stock tank

That's about what I was thinking would be a safe guesstimate. If the course is a 12 mile loop, then pit on the second lap and see how much it takes to top it off & go from there...

Bottomline in 2hr HS: unless you're a strong B racer (like podium) or higher, you'll be fine. Only caveat: if it's a wide-open ultra high speed course....maybe you'd need to refill sooner.

Bottomline in 2hr HS: unless you're a strong B racer (like podium) or higher, you'll be fine. Only caveat: if it's a wide-open ultra high speed course....maybe you'd need to refill sooner.

I guess one thing that could help widen the margin for error would be to swap in a petcock with a reserve, either from an X or an aftermarket unit. Might help to at least avoid a long and grueling push...

That's the first quick-fill I've seen that didn't require a dry-break system. Now that's a pricey setup...

Everything these days is $100. This is less expensive than getting the entire IMS set up which cost up in the $500 price range.

I guess one thing that could help widen the margin for error would be to swap in a petcock with a reserve, either from an X or an aftermarket unit. Might help to at least avoid a long and grueling push...

No need for that what so ever. Just pit no later than 3 laps.

That what I was thinking

Trail riding I could get about 50 miles on a tank on my CRF450. Racing I could get about 1.5 hours plus a lap.

i think ill stick with the stock tank(much cheaper) and pit after 45-60min like suggested. i also like the idea of measuring the gas in the can and then measuring again to see how much i used. i would say that im on the gas alot even though im not a seasoned racer. my background comes from downhill mtn bike racing where i raced in the pro class so going fast feels normal. its so cool to let the motorcyle do the work instead of my legs and lungs now! thanks for the advice.

No need for that what so ever. Just pit no later than 3 laps.

You're right. It's not a necessity at all. Just throwing out a suggestion of some cheap insurance. $20 - $30 and a half hour of time spent is a lot better than pushing a bike out of the woods.

does anyone know how far you can go in a race situation on a standard tank of gas (1.9 gallons i think). im doing a hare-scramble in a few weeks and trying to figure out how if im going to need to pit for fuel. the race is 2 hrs plus a lap . riding a crf450r

You will need gas for sure at the halfway point. I would't think you could go more than 35 miles max.

Dwight