Best Chain and Spockets

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my renthal sprockets and did x-ring on my 450 for a year and a half now. I have had to adjust the chain twice. Once after the first 5 minutes of riding, once a year later. Can't complain about that.

What type of riding do you do? Trails? Enduro? your prob right.

Racing MX its not going to last

and I have to adjust my chain after every other ride usually

If your looking for long lasting, I have been using a sunstar rear sprocket for over a year now and is just now starting to show wear. I forgot the model/name but its black with offset teeth and around $40.00. I ride a minimum of once a week and can't believe the abuse this thing takes. As far as chains go, I have used just about everything standered and o-ring and havn't found anything that would last longer than 3-4 months.

What type of riding do you do? Trails? Enduro? your prob right.

Racing MX its not going to last

and I have to adjust my chain after every other ride usually

I run Renthal sprockets and a regina o-ring chain on my 450 and have only had to adjust the chain once after the first ride. I have a full season on them and they are showing no wear what so ever. I am not a trail rider either, I race 250A and raced enough to get the number 4 plate in district 3 this year.

I run Renthal sprockets and a regina o-ring chain on my 450 and have only had to adjust the chain once after the first ride. I have a full season on them and they are showing no wear what so ever. I am not a trail rider either, I race 250A and raced enough to get the number 4 plate in district 3 this year.

Why arent you in school???????????

Just kidding I race at CycleRanch and everyone here tears the Alum sprockets up

the track is deep soft soil

Here are a couple of pics of Allessi racing at CycleRanch

alessi6.jpg

alessi5.jpg

CYCLERANCH-02.jpg

Point is I have a box in the garage of roasted ones

Get the Ironman...

"A year and a half..."

"..over a year..."

etc.

Those don't mean anythign unless we know how much time you actually spent rolling - how many hours of use are on your chain and sprockets? Hour meters don't lie - I spent 185 hours (sum of all riding, training and racing) on a bike I bought last year in April and rode every weekend up to 2 weeks ago, and I was riding my other bike just as much for the months prior to that.

Do the math and it's safe to assume that 300 hours of riding a year is not unrealistic. I went through 2 O-ring chains, 2 countershaft sprockets and 4 aluminum(7075) rear sprockets.

Recently Ironman finally developed sprockets to fit my Sherco. I asked a barrage of questions about how they were made, what material they use, heat treatments, surface treatments etc and they had a sound answer for all of them. Ironman Sprockets are HANDS DOWN the longest lasting sprockets available on the market today, PERIOD. It's a matter of material and metallurgy, and they select the best - if you want the details, call them and ask like I did before you fork over your $109 each - a bargain at twice that, I might add.

I personally prefer Regina chains - the ZR variety - but many chain manufacturer's top of the line chains are very very good.

I have a hard time beleiving that anyone could get a full season of real racing AND training on any aluminum sprocket - 7075, 6061, hard anodized, Teflon impregnated anodize, anything. I live and ride mostly in the desert/dry conditions, and they dont last at all - I have no idea how anyone could get them to last in mud back east. Post before and after pics and provide race finishes if you expect us to beleive that story. Also, define a "season" for New York.

Here are the top five year end points for district 3

250/Open Expert

1 53 MITCH DOUGHERTY 364

2 406 JUSTIN MURRAY 331

3 740 COLTON HARRISON 302

4 90 SONNY NIGHMAN 180

5 790 KURT HUMPHREYS JR. 178

125 Expert

1 740 COLTON HARRISON 374

2 406 JUSTIN MURRAY 368

3 53 MITCH DOUGHERTY 351

4 790 KURT HUMPHREYS JR. 187

5 90 SONNY NIGHMAN 182

My name is Kurt Humphreys Jr. I really do race. I'm at college right now, but I'm going home to ride this weekend so I will try to get some pictures of the sprockets I ran all year on my 450. They are in such good shape I'm gonna run them this season too until they wear out. I have never had a set of chain and sprockets not last a full season. As long as you keep it adjusted right and lubed they last a long time.

Thanks guys for backing me up on that

NO FRIGGIN WAY can a EXPERT rider/Racer get more than a 6 months out of a renthal sprocket, And that is prob streching it too.....

Lets see you not in school,,,,,, so maybe you been smoking the peace pipe this AM

LOL

What's your deal with not being in school? I'm 19 and I'm at college right now. I'm not an idiot. I have a 3.7 GPA in engineering school. No I was not smoking the peace pipe, and you can come to my house and look at my sprockets if you don't believe me.