need a little help on my 06 yz450f

So I have been searching for a while and have not come up with an answer but I just bought a used 2006 yz450f. I went to change the oil and I must be retarded but i can't figure out how to check it. I put in 1.2 qt. started the bike and let it run for 3 min. Stopped the bike and pulled the dip stick. I then wiped it off and just stuck it back in the hole without screwing it in. When I pull it back out there is nothing on it. The only time I see oil on it is if I check it while the bike is running. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with the bike?? any help would be great

Thanks

Greg

I will try that tonight. Is it possible that there is somthing wrong with the bike?

Thanks

Greg

Not likely. It definitely has oil in it and is running. By the way, the header pipe may glow bright red unless you have a box fan blowing on it.

How many hours on the bike? Anything happen to it out of the ordinary? What is the temperature in SD? Are you in a heated garage? What did the oil look like that came out?

I bought it from a guy in KS, He said that it had 30 hours on it but it looks like it has more like 60-80 hours on it. the temp in SD last weekend was about 20 degrees. I do have it in a heated shop. He said that the head was ported by Strategic 3 and it has hot cams. I think that is all of the motor mods.

let me know and thanks for your help

Greg

so, I have changed the oil now 3 times. Still having no luck with getting oil on the dip stick. I took off the oil line a blew it out just in case. I loosened the oil pressure bolt and after about 12 seconds of running it i get oil coming out. So i think that the oil pressure is good. Is there any mod that the guy I bought it from could have done that would cause this?? Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks

Greg

It's theoretically possible to covert the '06 to a wet sump, but there would be no reason to.

The fact that you get oil on the dipstick while it's running is due to oil being returned to the tank. The return passage ends up pointing right at the dipstick.

What does it read on the stick after riding it for a while and letting it sit for 2 minutes?

I get nothing on it at all. This is why I am getting very frustrated. If it was converted, would this hurt anything? Can I hurt the bike by putting to much oil in it? I could just keep adding oil and see how much it takes to get there. I am getting to the point where I am thinking of just running it and seeing if I blow the motor up. could the oil pump not be working?? Again THANKS for all your help

Greg

i let my bike idle for 3 mins on a level surface. i then pull out the dipstick to clean it off. after, i put it back in without screwing it in. pull it out and you should have your measurement.

add oil little by little until it you see it on the dipstick

I just thought that I would give an update, I figured out why I had no oil on the dip stick, Turns out I have a hole in the oil tank, When I took off my stator cover there is a quarter size hole under the shaft that goes to the oil pump, right in front of the crank shaft. Anyway, if you have a oil problem you might want to check that out. I need to buy a new case which sucks but at least I figured out what was wrong.

Thanks for all your help

Greg

I just thought that I would give an update, I figured out why I had no oil on the dip stick, Turns out I have a hole in the oil tank, When I took off my stator cover there is a quarter size hole under the shaft that goes to the oil pump, right in front of the crank shaft. Anyway, if you have a oil problem you might want to check that out. I need to buy a new case which sucks but at least I figured out what was wrong.

Thanks for all your help

Greg

Huh? How would a hole like that get there? Are you sure it is not suppose to be there?

Are you sure there's nothing on the stick? try wiping it on a clean paper towel and seeing it there's anything there. Fresh clean oil is pretty transparent. I know on my car it's almost impossible to read until it gets a little dirty. On my bike I have yet to see it get dirty enough to see it register obviously on the dipstick. But if you wipe it on a paper towel, and there's nothing there, keep adding at 100 ML increments until it shows up.

Thanks for all your help

Greg

did you see the puddle of oil on the ground when refilling? Was this caused by a lack of front engine protection, Skid plate?

I Work For A Dealership And Have A Yz450 Myself And I Screw The Dipstick Back In The Motor As Do My Techs. And The Service Manual Requires 1.0 Qt For Oil And Filter. 1.2 For Motor Overhual.

Page 3-14 of the manual says:

Note: When inspecting the oil level, do not screw the oil level gauge into the oil tank. Insert the gauge lightly.

It also says:

1 LITER (1.06 US qt) for an oil/filter change, and

1.2 LITER (1.27 US quart) Total system capacity

Don't let your service manager know you don't read the manuals. :applause: