Sign in to follow this  

Excessive Brake wear

Couldn't find a more appropriate forum than this so here goes.....

Did a ride on the weekend. It was wet and muddy with lots of ground water to ride through. No big hills (up or down). Started the ride with plenty of brake pad on the rear (I specifically checked this because I had just replaced the front pads before that ride and deemed there to be no need to change the rears at that time).

At the end of the ride I saw that my rear pads were worn down to the metal. I did not think I had used the rear brakes much and it did not feel that they were binding at all during the ride.

Just one of those things (maybe), but it turns out that 3 other riders on that same ride experienced exactly the same thing (rear brakes worn down to the metal). Any suggestions as to what might have caused this excessive brake wear?

What was the pad material made of? I'll have to check my notes but if I remember correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Stay away from kevlar pads. They grind down to nothing fast when wet.

For wet sloppy riding here in Washington the best components I have found for brake pad life are, EBC "MXS" race sintered pads and a solid rotor. And yes in one enduro I have went metal to metal and ruined a rotor with lesser quality components. This is a very common problem in wet riding if you don't use quality pads.

For wet sloppy riding here in Washington the best components I have found for brake pad life are, EBC "MXS" race sintered pads and a solid rotor. And yes in one enduro I have went metal to metal and ruined a rotor with lesser quality components. This is a very common problem in wet riding if you don't use quality pads.

Yep! Solid Rotors (no holes :cry: ) w/ sintered pads is what holds up the best in those particular conditions.

The grit of the mud caused the rapid wear on the previous pads.

I ride, myself, with a 'heavy' right toe, so, I can relate. I go through 2 backs before 1 front (I use the back end to turn...:lol: )

XR4play: If the conditions you wrote about are normal, I'd switch to the above mentioned set-up. If not, just go with some EBC Carbon Graphite X Rear Brake Pads. They seem to hold up to my abusive right foot. :applause: :applause:

If the conditions you wrote about are normal, I'd switch to the above mentioned set-up. If not, just go with some EBC Carbon Graphite X Rear Brake Pads. They seem to hold up to my abusive right foot. :applause: :applause:

Thanks for the advice drtbkr (and others). Wet and muddy are not the usual conditions here; dry and dusty is more common.

WRT carbon graphite and/or sintered pads (etc etc) - huh? Here you kinda go into a bike shop and ask the dude if he's got pads to fit an XR. he says yes (or no) and hands them to you and you hand him $30. The packaging says nothing about the compound used. Guess they will either last a long time or they won't - I'm sure to find out.

They are painted red if that helps :-)

I suggest using Moose or DP brake pads. They work the best and last longer than all the other pads. Moose are a tad better for heat transfer. I also suggest an extra heavy brake spring.

Dwight

I have used DP and Moose pads in the past and also think these are very high quality and hard to beat. But I still prefer the EBC pads as they also include a new brake pin with every set. Trust me they wear very good, and IMHO as good as DP. And by the way, Moose pads are made by DP.

The problem was the choice of pad material you selected not the brand. If riding in wet weather the sintered material is the way to go not the carbon graphite compound. The carbon will survive fine in dry conditions but don't fare well in Oregon's wet climate.

I have used DP and Moose pads in the past and also think these are very high quality and hard to beat. But I still prefer the EBC pads as they also include a new brake pin with every set. Trust me they wear very good, and IMHO as good as DP. And by the way, Moose pads are made by DP.

DP put out the first Sintered metal pads and lead in this technology. The ceramic backing is the difference between DP and Moose. Moose has double the thickness of ceramics. A friend of mine (Dave Crain of Dirt Tech , Cam Tech in Tuscaloosa ) invented the Quick pin that EBC copied. Moose sells the original quick pin that Dave still makes. Buy one set for the life of the bike.

Dwight

DP put out the first Sintered metal pads and lead in this technology. The ceramic backing is the difference between DP and Moose. Moose has double the thickness of ceramics. A friend of mine (Dave Crain of Dirt Tech , Cam Tech in Tuscaloosa ) invented the Quick pin that EBC copied. Moose sells the original quick pin that Dave still makes. Buy one set for the life of the bike.

Dwight

To each his own. you use DP I use EBC. You pay extra for brake pins, I get mine with my new pads as part of the deal and don't need to clean up the set that was on the bike, I just toss em and install the shiny new ones.

Did Dave have a patent issue or did he not care if his pin design was copied?

It may also have been something simple like a branch getting caught inbetween your case and brake pedal keeping light pressure on your pads for a while, without you realizing it since it was wet out. :applause:

To each his own. you use DP I use EBC. You pay extra for brake pins, I get mine with my new pads as part of the deal and don't need to clean up the set that was on the bike, I just toss em and install the shiny new ones.

Did Dave have a patent issue or did he not care if his pin design was copied?

I don't think Dave thought there would be enough money in brake pins to pay for a patent lawyer so he didn't patent them. He made and supplied the ISDE team for several years before they caught on. EBC stole his Idea and makes the free ones from cheaper material. Dave's don't wear. Dave was talking to Moose about making Brake pins for them and another company offered to make them cheaper. Moose, knowing that Dave was the inventer , stuck by him even if his were a few cents higher because it was the honorable thing to do. Good folks at Moose / Lemans Corp.

As for the Pads, I will bet money that the DP / Moose pads will outlast the EBC under adverse conditions. I have proven this point multible times in the Nat'l Enduro series when conditions were wet and horrible. Everyone would be changing pads in the middle of the day and my pads didn't show wear even at the end of the day. EBC may be a bit cheaper , I am not sure. But use what you feel comfortable with. :applause:

Dwight

i just switched to moose pads from EBC not because of the wearing but for the ceramic backing. i used to think it wasn't important but have since learned that ceramics are quite effective in blocking heat transfer,in just a couple rides i've noticed less brake fade:thumbsup: dwight about those pins are the zip-ty ones from dave? i just bought a set of the zip-ty and didn't see any available from moose in dennis kirk. i agree the EBC pins are crap:thumbsdn: they are worn before the pads,thats plain dangerous:crazy:

i just switched to moose pads from EBC not because of the wearing but for the ceramic backing. i used to think it wasn't important but have since learned that ceramics are quite effective in blocking heat transfer,in just a couple rides i've noticed less brake fade:thumbsup: dwight about those pins are the zip-ty ones from dave? i just bought a set of the zip-ty and didn't see any available from moose in dennis kirk. i agree the EBC pins are crap:thumbsdn: they are worn before the pads,thats plain dangerous:crazy:

No, Zip-Ty pins are made by Ty's dad Terry. Copies of the original Dirt Tech / Moose pins. ( I believe the MSR ones are made by Dirt Tech too )

Dwight