Sign in to follow this  

dirt wheels...

anyone got a set from an S they wanna get rid of.

id like to take my SM out for some dirtyness fun.

id prefer to get S wheels though. damnit.

does the speedo drive from the SM bolt on the E hubs?

Sure the E wheels bolt right up to the SM and you can keep the speedo working. It's kind of scary to actualy see how fast you are running in the trails though!

how bout configuring the speedo for the different wheel diameters? is it possible?

how bout configuring the speedo for the different wheel diameters? is it possible?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to buy a cheap GPS and strap it on displaying the MPH.

id prefer to get S wheels though. damnit.

does the speedo drive from the SM bolt on the E hubs?

yes the speedo drive works from the E wheels to the S or SM

I was wondering the same question... is there a setting to change the sm speedometer settings to the S settings????:applause:

I was wondering the same question... is there a setting to change the sm speedometer settings to the S settings????:applause:

I have an S with 17" wheels & 21"/18" wheels. I put an SM speedo geardrive on & compared them to my GPS. With the 17" front, the speedometer reads 50mph & GPS says 45mph. With the 21" front, the speedometer reads 50mph & the GPS says 51mph. So, I like the SM speedo geardrive better than stock (which read 50mph @ 45mph on the GPS with the 21" front). Before I installed the SM speedo gear, I was reading crazy speeds (like 108mph)

nice....

then ill keep an eye out for a set of rims. and if everyone else will do the same for me as well, itll be greatly appreciated.

speed will be more correct with the SM speedo hub but the ODO will be off no matter what you do......

I have an S with 17" wheels & 21"/18" wheels. I put an SM speedo geardrive on & compared them to my GPS. With the 17" front, the speedometer reads 50mph & GPS says 45mph. With the 21" front, the speedometer reads 50mph & the GPS says 51mph. So, I like the SM speedo geardrive better than stock (which read 50mph @ 45mph on the GPS with the 21" front). Before I installed the SM speedo gear, I was reading crazy speeds (like 108mph)

Yup, you gotta run the SM speedo gear. For some reason it works acurately with the E rim and the SM rim...dont know why or how, but my Garmin GPS tells no lies.

??? how can the same gear ratio give accurate speed on two wheels that are 4" in diameter different?

My S was off a bit when i bought it (ALL STOCK) and when I converted to 17" Excel/Talons I went with the SM gear.

I can not figure out how it would still be accurate going back to the 21" front?????

The SM tires are bigger but that would still net at least a 3" difference in diameter. Any slide rules wanna come up with the diffference in circumference on that?

??? how can the same gear ratio give accurate speed on two wheels that are 4" in diameter different?

My S was off a bit when i bought it (ALL STOCK) and when I converted to 17" Excel/Talons I went with the SM gear.

I can not figure out how it would still be accurate going back to the 21" front?????

The SM tires are bigger but that would still net at least a 3" difference in diameter. Any slide rules wanna come up with the diffference in circumference on that?

They aren't the same. At 50mph on my GPS the 17" reads 55mph, & the 21" reads 49mph, give or take 1mph.

The stock DRZSM with stock wheels is about 8 % off from the factory for speed.

They want you to think your going SUPER fast but your not.

I had a set of stock S wheels in the classifieds that I was trying to sell for $600, they were selling for just over that on ebay. I just stripped them down and sent the hubs to East Coast Wheels to have them laced with 17" hoops.

I still have the rims and spokes. If you want them, make me an offer.