Sign in to follow this  

FNG needs a little guidance!!!!!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the site. I have just recently turn in my street bike for a dirt bike. I haven't had a dirt bike for about 10 years(even then I wasn't that experience in the dirt). I just bought the '07 KTM XC-W 300 and wanted to get everyone ones opinion on the bike.

I have spoke with a bunch of my friends who have been riding a while. They said I would be fine on this 300. I trust their opinions, but sinced I rode my'06 R1 with them all the time, I am hoping there judgement isn't clouded by the fact I can ride a street bike fairly well.

Also, would a bolt on FMF pipe help, with any thing at all, on the '07 XC-W 300, or comments on what I should get for an aftermarket pipe, thks

Just take it easy until you get adjusted to the dirt. Thats a sweet very capable bike you bought and the reality is unless you become as fast as David Knight you may never ride it to its full potential.

Just remember braking too much with the front brake will get you hurt...try to use them in a balanced way. Ask your buddies for pointers on how they attack difficult portions of trails. Pay attention to their technique and body positions while riding and try to mimic that. You should get it down in no time

don't waist your time with the pipe just ride what you got until u break it unless you have to just replace parts for no reason. I can't say i don't do that like the pegs I just bought for 160$ that i did not need. Post in the KTM area as well youll get a better response. I'm sure the good mods will moved it there in no time.

That is a great bike. I not-so-secretly dream of getting one. But since they can't be dual sported, I have to stick with a 4 stroke.

I think that the ktm300 is a smooth ride with linear power. You don't have to wind it up to make it go. Because of that, it will be easy to adapt to. I think you will more problems adapting to the dirt than to that bike. Two years ago I went from street to dirt and the difference is significant. It is inevitable that you'll end up on your ass.

I'd take a dirt riding class if I were you. The $200 you spend might be the difference between wearing a cast or not wearing a cast.

Otherwise... enjoy it!

-get the right springs for your weight, it greatly affects the handling of the bike.

-put the green powervalve spring in until you get used to the hit.

-depending on where you are located, get the jetting dialed in.

-loctite the shifter and kickstart bolts

-join KTMtalk, there is a wealth of info on this bike there, and knowledgeable people, also.

-research and tack weld your powervalve pin, it can come out. Mine came out with the oil on my first oil change.

-RIDE, RIDE, AND RIDE SOME MORE!:applause:

Enjoy, it is a great bike.

you dont need a pipe,stock is very good, weld the pv pin, get the right springs for your weight or it wont handle right the stock springs are for a 170lb +- person. Stand up when you ride as much as you can to smppth out the bumps. Use your stomache muscles and not your arms to hold your self forward on the bike, learn to slip the clutch, lots of stuff but you got the right bike for it.

• Like 1

you dont need a pipe,stock is very good, weld the pv pin, get the right springs for your weight or it wont handle right the stock springs are for a 170lb +- person. Stand up when you ride as much as you can to smppth out the bumps. Use your stomache muscles and not your arms to hold your self forward on the bike, learn to slip the clutch, lots of stuff but you got the right bike for it.

Mike, isn't the stock pipe made by FMF and equivalent to a Fatty? Just for his info...

Check the top shock bolt every time you go to ride the bike. They can come loose and fall out if you don't keep them tight. Buy an extra bolt and keep it with you. It can save a day of riding if you loose yours.

gmoss Im not sure, but I had heard that, or was it the hard parts pipe that was the same? Larry Ive never had one come loose in my years of KTMs, have had 3 of them. Did you use locktite? Kickstart and shifters do come loose, even with locktite, but never a shock bolt for me.

I have not had one come out on me but last weekend I had to give my spare bolt to a guy who lost his.

I check my bolts every time I come off the track.

I have never had a shifter bolt or a kick-starter bolt come loose either, But I see it happen at the track to other guys. I did loose a few pipe bolts over the years and a muffler bolt once. I had a kickstarter bolt snap off once. I use Permatex Threadlocker blue and torque my bolts now. Haven't had any bolts fall out in a few years now.

Don't let these guys scare you. Unless you're fouling plugs, I wouldn't do a thing but make sure your bolts are tight. It sounds like this bike is WAY above your riding ability so just take it easy and have fun. I came off street bikes and rode a KDX220 for four years before graduating to the 300 this year. I love it but it was a handful at first. Just take it easy and ride all you can. You got a great first dirtbike.

Thats a sick bike i have a 200exc and cant find any where i need more power on the east coast. I have had ktm 2 strokes for about 5 years now and have had no shock or shifters come loose. I actually have a problem with the shifters getting stuck when i try to adjust it.

When you get the bike, go over it and make sure wheel and steering stem bearings are greased. Then locktite all the bolts. Be sure to double check your tire pressure. Have seen them come from KTM with 30+lbs of air in them.

You'll definitely need heavier springs. Be sure to set the sag correctly. KTM's are really touchy in regards to sag.

The stock pipe is suppose to be close to the FMF pipe, but not exactly.

You should have gotten a red and yellow PV spring, along with some extra jets. I think it comes with the green. The yellow PV spring really mellows it out. The red spring gives it more snap.

Jetting can be a main to get right.

Definitely join KTMTalk.com. It's priceless and full of information.

Other than adding a set of barkbusters for offroad, your pretty much good to go.

It you can get to an offroad or even a MX class, take it. Money and time well spent.

You should have gotten a red and yellow PV spring, along with some extra jets. I think it comes with the green. The yellow PV spring really mellows it out. The red spring gives it more snap.

this is incorrect. The bikes come with the yellow spring installed.

green = mildest hit

yellow = medium hit

red = most aggressive

Thanks for all the great info guys.

One question on the springs, I don't recall getting anything else related to the rear springs. I should have gotten an additional two springs then? I have the yellow one that came with it. I will ask for the other ones.

Again thks for all the help.

One question on the springs, I don't recall getting anything else related to the rear springs. I should have gotten an additional two springs then? I have the yellow one that came with it. I will ask for the other ones.

powervalve springs, not rear springs, sorry for the confusion. They are small colored springs that come in a clear tube along with a couple of jets and an extra needle. There's a square brass adjuster just below the expansion chamber, on the engine, to access and adjust the powervalve.

You should have got a "briefcase" that contains the manuals, tool kit(which has jets and needles and the other 2 power springs). Don't confuse the power springs with any thing to do with the shock

Read the owners manual. It will explain the power valve springs, maintenance practices, sag settings, ect. That should have been one of the first things you do.