Sign in to follow this  

Installing CRF250R Cam

I will be installing the "R" cam in an 04 CRF250X this weekend. I have the shop manual and some of the pictoral guides that are available here and Dirt rider. The concern I have is the Decompression Bolt on the end of the cam. The shop manual says nothing about how to break it lose. I am thinking of using some carefully applied heat to break the locktite lose before I wrench on it. I will heat the bolt with a small propane torch and let it cool and try to break the bolt lose. Good idea? the spec sheet for Loctite 271 calls for 440F to break it lose. i dont plan on going that high, maybe 240-300F

OR just grab hold with a big breaker bar and give her a twist ?

Use Red Loctite going back in?

It's not that big of a deal, you shouldn't need to heat the bolt. If you do it before you pull the cam, you won't have to put it in a vise or try to hold it and break the bolt loose.

Definitly use red lock tite when you reinstall.

thanks

I put the R cam into the bike in 2 1/2 hr, the decompression bolt was no problemjust as stated. The Shop manual says to do it just like you said. The clearances tighten up .001 on the exhaust to .010 and one intake tightened .001 to .004 and other stayed .005. Thats still in spec so I did not shim.