Sign in to follow this  

91 xr250l engine mod question???

I think i'm getting close to narrowing down my choice. Read good things about the 91 xr250L. Maybe a little under powered.. Would this mod solve that issue? --Engine completely rebuilt, bored .3 over so it is now 273cc displacement. New 250R cam, gaskets, seals, etc etc. Less than 60 miles on it since rebuild.

Suspension wise, at 260 lbs I know i'm pushing it but for trail riding, chasing the kids around would the 91 be OK? Are simple mods available? Is it flickable and would it be decent on the straights with the mods?

Anything specific to look for on this model???

I'm considering a 93 650L and a 2000 600R but my gut says these two bikes are too much for me and xr400's are real rare.

Thanks in advance for your input..

I think i'm getting close to narrowing down my choice. Read good things about the 91 xr250L. Maybe a little under powered.. Would this mod solve that issue? --Engine completely rebuilt, bored .3 over so it is now 273cc displacement. New 250R cam, gaskets, seals, etc etc.

The 250R cam is an improvement over the stock 250L cam in that it seems to deliver a bit more midrange power. To make the best use of the R cam really requires the R carb, exhaust, and higher-compression piston (L is 9.3:1, R is 10.2:1), although if the rebuilder was smart, he went with the higher compression piston when he did the overbore. That said, the 250R cam alone is still an improvement IMO.

Suspension wise, at 260 lbs I know i'm pushing it but for trail riding, chasing the kids around would the 91 be OK?

You'll need front springs. Stock rate is .38 which is way, way too light for a 260lb rider.

Are simple mods available?

Suspension-wise? The single biggest bang-for-the-buck mod you can do is swap in a set of '96-up 250R forks. All you need are the legs. Huge, huge improvement.

Is it flickable

No. It's a heavy bike and needs to be muscled around a bit in situations where flickability might normally be a concern.

and would it be decent on the straights with the mods?

It's pretty good on the straights as-is. Top speed is good due to the gearing (13-40 stock) and it's got a little more rake than the L, making it stable at speed.

IMO, you should probably be looking at one of the bigger bikes you mentioned, maybe the 600R. Awesome bike, and definitely better suited to hauling a bigger rider.

-Bob

I'd rather be stock on a bigger bike than a long list of mods on a smaller bike.

Thank's for the input, the search will continue..

I have the 92 XR250L, i just got the motor rebuilt super 280cc kit from thumperracing and i went over board with it. im a smaller rider than you 6ft 185.

I would say if you like the smaller bikes, then look on ebay for the newer fork legs (i will) and put those on. if you do a rebuild, your headed in the right direction, us people with the 250L have a longer gear ratio from 4-6 which gives us higher top end. but we have weaker carbs and cams. if those were replaced and compression was pumped up then our bikes become pretty well balanced. and we can take ours on the street. if you did that you would have no problems catching up to your kids and it would be a fun ride for ya. however if you left it alone it wouldnt be enough for you.