Sign in to follow this  

Gearing chart?

I have a 07' KX450F first gear seems like a tall gear (too fast for tight trails) what gearing do you suggest I can do? Sorry for all the newb questions..... :applause: :applause:

I don't have a chart handy, but to calculate your final drive ratio just divide the number of teeth on the rear sprocket by the number of teeth on the countershaft sprocket.

If your stock sprockets were 13T c/s and 48T rear...

48/13=3.69 final drive ratio. As this number increases, your gearing becomes lower...(easier in climbing steep grades, etc.)

As the number decreases, the gearing gets higher i.e. more top speed, like for desert racing...

Oh' man I hated math when I was in school let alone as an adult. :applause: I'm kidding, thanks for the heads up :applause:

Found this gearing chart in another guys garage.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=30112

Just keep in mind that all the sprocket teeth #'s listed aren't always available from retailers. Or fit your bike for that matter.

• Like 1

No prob sonobob.

Also, the # given for the ratio's is the number of countersprocket turns for 1 full rotation of the rear wheel.

Also, I'd suggest dropping a tooth on the countersprocket and seeing how the bike is. Really makes a big difference and is relatively cheap to do.

Everything I have read suggests doing the exact opposite, changing the rear down a tooth from 50 to a 49 for 2007. The higher ratio allows better use of the added 5th gear, speading the power range out better allowing you to use 2nd more.

Everything I have read suggests doing the exact opposite, changing the rear down a tooth from 50 to a 49 for 2007. The higher ratio allows better use of the added 5th gear, speading the power range out better allowing you to use 2nd more.

Taking teeth off of the rear sprocket gives you longer gears and improves your topspeed .Adding teeth to the rear sprocket improves your low end making the bike hit harder but it revs out quicker. Taking a tooth off the front sprocket has the affect of adding 3 teeth to the rear sprocket. Remember both sprockets and chain should be changed together.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you need to add to the rear, I just ordered a 51 for my 07 YZ450. Stock is a 13/49.