Sign in to follow this  

OPINIONS Chain lube(oil) OR Wax?

I have good luck with both. Key is to put it on before the chain rollers are shiny. I regularly get over 13K street miles on a OEM chain and sprockets.

87 Ninja-17K, 89 FZR1000-14K, 80 XT350-13K+(still looks almost 100%)

I went from wd40 to trying all the popular lubes..I am using a teflon spray that goes on wet and then dries as suggested by others here..So far so good and a nice clean bike..If I decide I dont like it I will use wd40 again.

Any lube that dries or becomes really stiff/thick is the ticket. Ones that stay wet just fling off in short order. WD40 has its' place, but I never use it except when I need a thin lube for short term usage. Long term, a few months, and it dries out and becomes gummy and the properties it is good for are gone. WD40 is good if you have to disperse moisture, are going to clean and lube wehatever you are using it on weekly and need a real thin lube.

Any lube that dries or becomes really stiff/thick is the ticket. Ones that stay wet just fling off in short order. WD40 has its' place, but I never use it except when I need a thin lube for short term usage. Long term, a few months, and it dries out and becomes gummy and the properties it is good for are gone. WD40 is good if you have to disperse moisture, are going to clean and lube wehatever you are using it on weekly and need a real thin lube.

Generally..if using wd40 its appiled a day or so before off road riding. After the ride the chain is completely cleaned and re lubed...I am really liking this dry teflon stuff..Thanks to the guys who gave us the tip here..

Guys bust my balls for doing too much PM on my bikes.

WD40 has its' place, but I never use it except when I need a thin lube for short term usage.

I'm going to go pop up a bag of popcorn and wait for the pro-WD40 types to come in and go ballistic. Luckily, I rarely lube my chain, so me getting on any side of this argument would be rather hypocritcal of me. :applause:

PS - I have a can of maxima chain wax and some PJ 1 Black... whichever bottle isn't missing the top is the one that gets used.

I use chain lube usually mineral or synthetic. If I'm out of chain lube I use either oil or WD-40. Sometimes I use chain wax applied more often than chain lube. Lately I've been using Dupont Multi-Use Teflon. When that runs out I'll probably use something else that will lube the chain.

Doing this every 150-200 miles seems to work really well.

I don't use any lube normally. If it happens to be laying around at a friends I might spray the chain for something to do. 30k on my bike and on my third chain. Replace the CS sprocket when it gets worn and your chain will last until the o-rings wear out.

I use WD40 on my chain to clean it up then Belray chain lube

+1 I do the same thing, BelRay superclean.

Chain lube, I took off the wax coz it started to clump up and fling by the spoonfuls.

Chain lube, I took off the wax coz it started to clump up and fling by the spoonfuls.

Hope the guys behind had full face helmets! :applause: