Sign in to follow this  

heat-proof tape?

hey all, ive read a lot about people shielding their headers with some kind of tape, can anyone tell me a little mroe about it? can i get it at like an auto parts store? does it make the engine run hotter or anything?

thanks

Exhaust Wrap

Your auto parts store will probably have it. Summit has a bunch, here is one example:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=DEI%2D010121&N=700+4294918557+115&autoview=sku

It is kind of like insulation. It will keep the heat in the header longer than a heat shield. This could make your engine run hotter if you completely wrap the entire header, not sure how much hotter it would run. For my purpose I just wrapped the header around where my boot and pants rub to keep them from melting.

It is not a tape so I secured it with plumber's tape.

If you have a local powder coater, they probably do ceramic coating too...or they'll know a shop that does.

$75 to coat the complete header inside and out...reduces the external temp significantly and looks good too...it will keep the heat in the pipe forcing it out to the muffler and out, helping to reduce the amount of exhaust heat that sinks back to the head.