Sign in to follow this  

Anybody in NJ have Ins on their dirtbike?

Since my home owners (State Farm) will not cover my dirtbike what are you guys/girls doing to insure the bikes? All I want is theft ins just to protect my ride in case some asshat decides to steal it.

When I asked State Farm about this, I was told I have to register the bike. From what I remember, you can't register a dirtbike in NJ but I may be wrong.

So what are ya all doing??

Thanks,

njracer

Legally you cannot register a dirtbike in New Jersey and even if you do manage to slip through and register it you may not be able to get comprehensive (i.e. theft, fire, etc...) insurance for it. I have Rider insurance on my TE450 and since it's an "enduro" bike they would not let me to add comprehensive to the policy. I ended up with just the liability and lock it up everywhere I go and even when it's home in the garage. I will probably search around for other insurance options when the policy is up. Anybody out there have recomendations.

Make sure you have liability insurance.

Remember that riding a motor vehicle w/o insurance is a major offense in NJ.

If they catch you on the roads w/o insurance it's big trouble. You can loose your license. No registration is a ticket with no points...no insurance is akin to reckless driving and is a serious offense.

Hmmm... I have State Farm too and IIRC, my homeowners insurance covers our bikes. I will give them a call to confirm.

I have full coverage from progressive on my YZ450f including collision for around $160 a year.

Hmmm... I have State Farm too and IIRC, my homeowners insurance covers our bikes. I will give them a call to confirm.

My State Farm agent said the homeowners does NOT cover the bikes.

Going to call him again tomorrow.

$85 @ Rider for my DR350s

i think i asked them about my CRF450R back in 2003 and they said they would insure it..

$85 @ Rider for my DR350s

Thats for liability only....as of March 1st, they now will allow you to get FULL coverage on dirtbikes and ATV's. That being said, Rider wants $247 for full coverage on the YZ450. Progessive wants $423.

I'm going to call Geico now and get a quote.

Ok...geico wants $204 liability and comp....add collision and it goes to $307.

So I think I'll go with Rider....I kind of like the idea of full coverage.....bin the bike bad and they pay book value. I kinda think they will stop offering full coverage in the future on dirtbikes and ATV's....go racing, have big crash, total bike and then claim it. Does not sound like a good business plan.

Quick update.....I went with liability and comp thru Geico ($204/yr).

RIDER can lick my nutz!!!! After spending 30+ mins on the phone, getting a quote and just about to pay for it the dumbass on the phone tells me that I can't have full ins for the YZ450. After BS'ing me and telling me as of 3/1 I can get full ins for this bike they then turn around and tell me no.

I'm so glad I pulled all of my ins from them last year (I had 5 streetbikes ins thru them) and moved everything over to State Farm. Not to mention, I saved well over $2000/yr with the move and have better coverage.

Anywho.....F Rider!!!:applause:

whats the difference between liability and full coverage on a Motcross Dirtbike? i dont get it. i dont think anyones gonna be suing the guy who took him out in the second to last turn of the local mx track race! :applause: but really, when some of you say you have full coverage on your mx bikes, what does this actually cover? only thing i can think is theft, and liability covers that right?

whats the difference between liability and full coverage on a Motcross Dirtbike? i dont get it. i dont think anyones gonna be suing the guy who took him out in the second to last turn of the local mx track race! :applause: but really, when some of you say you have full coverage on your mx bikes, what does this actually cover? only thing i can think is theft, and liability covers that right?

Liability does NOT cover theft.....period. U R fugged if someone takes your ride if you only have liability

Geico got my business today.....Rider could go chapter 11/13 and I could care less.

I sell insurance in MD. Anything I say may vary in your state. Consult your own local agent. Geico sucks because they have no local agents.

You can get full coverage (as most of you know) on a dirt bike. You should get liability along with your comprehesive (theft) because you could hit someone, and in today's sue happy society, you are liable for their injuries. and that's where the liability fits in. I had a buddy who went mountain biking, was riding down the hill, someone on a XR400 came up the hill. they collided. my buddy almost dies when he hit a tree. the guy on the XR was in a part of the area on a trail that motorcycles are not allowed on. he's therefore at fault and in dire need of liability insurance. didn't have it though. oops

Full coverage is three coverages: Comprehensive, Collision, and liability. If you file a collision claim from your bike though, it will affect your car insurance... thought not until they find out about it. We true dirt bikers should just get comp and liability (also uninsured motorist, but most agents include that with liability). dualsporters will HAVE to get it to keep their tags.