Sign in to follow this  

Are the Rims centered on the hubs?

I am buying excel rims and was wondering if the wheels are dished perfectly centered over the hub? I cannot check myself since I do not have my bikes yet.

No i'm not... doing it myself, I used to do bicycle wheels and I'm wondering what tools I need.

When I laced up my 18" wheel I installed it and trued it up that way. Just center in between the swingarm. I'm pretty sure they're centered though.

Install the outer spokes first on the rear, use grease on the nipples.

Take a few pics of the wheel before you take the spokes out, it may help you get a better idea of what it looks like before you start lacing it.

I used this post by wingman111 when I built mine.

On the subject of wheel building do this lay out your new rim and if you still have a complete wheel try to note which side the stamped lettering is on ususally the lettering is on the disc side most modern mx wheel sets use the same lenght spoke for all locations but check to see if this is so,start with the outer spokes by placeing them one by one into one side of the wheel,start the nipples by hand just a few threads flip the wheel over and start the other outer spokes. Repeat with the inner spokes on both sides. Now the trueing process begins,when using new stock spokes or possibly others if they are precisely made and are all of exactly the same length and the threaded area is uniform to all tighten all spokes until the same amount of thread shows say about 2 threads showing. Now start at one of the drilled holes and I would mark it with say a magic marker, and go around the wheel tightening the spokes the same amount lets say 1/4 turn each go one revolution clockwise on the wheel then counterclockwise and so on until the spokes are fairly tight.Now check the run out up and down and side to side, usually at this point the spokes still are not at the correct final tension so I still tighten spokes to true the rim, find the up down high spot and tighten a group of 3 or 4 spokes in this area keep working until the up/down dimension is fairly close then work on the side to side find the high spot on say the left and tighten a group of spokes tighten spokes on the opposite side of the high spot here ,then after doing this move to the right and do the same back and forth again and again be sure to check the up/down sometimes and deal with that as well,if you get to the point where the spokes are very tight and you still need to move the rim loosen spokes on the high spot to accomplish this.when you are all done all the spokes should be very tight and give of a fairly uniform ping sound when struck with the spoke tool.Cheers

I didn't use a torque wrench on mine. I did go with Buchanon oversize spokes and stainless nipples and haven't had to touch a spoke.

I don't know the answer to your direct question, but I have experience re-lacing about 10 wheels. You need to know that the crf rear wheel requires different spoke lengths on the rear wheel. Save yourselve some time and check this out before you get started.