Sign in to follow this  

want to start racing, help please

hey everyone, i have never raced before but i want to start next month. can anyone help me out with what will happen? it is a desert hare and hound.

like once i sign up with the racing club and the AMA, im a minor so ill need to have a parent sign something. but what will happen after that?

i dont even know how to word what im trying to ask, i dont really have a clue on what to do and whats going to happen. if ive worded this clear enough can someone please help me out?

thanks

Go to watch one and talk to some of the riders. Most people at races are very friendly and are willing to help. I can't tell you exactly what will happen b/c I don't know how that particular race in your area is set up. Don't be afraid to ask people around you, everyone started somewhere.

Contact the club/organization putting on the race....ask them what you need to do to enter the race. Mention that you are a minor and I am sure they will list out the pre race stuff you will need.

Rhino

Contact the club/organization putting on the race....ask them what you need to do to enter the race. Mention that you are a minor and I am sure they will list out the pre race stuff you will need.

Rhino

Agreed. The race organizers will be your best (only?) source for accurate information.

As rhino said: be sure to mention that you are a minor. Specifically ask if your parents need to be there.

Beyond that, I don't know what you take with you (tools, spares, comfort stuff) when you go riding, but take all that for racing AND if you have one, bring an ez-up. Generally, there's lots more sitting around racing than day riding, and shade is often really, really good to have.

ez-up, folding chairs, lots of water/gatoraid, and a cooler. Yeah, it's only February, but it's still nice to get out of the sun and sit down.

Your young enough that your memory may work better than mine, but I have resorted to a checklist when I pack for a race weekend.

All you need is AMA card is this in Calif. you need a district 36 card Mom or DAds or gaurdians sig. You Need to figure out what class you want to run when you sign up.You wait for your race go through a little sound check line up on your line you get a few minutes to warm up your bike they shut you down talk tell you some good info.Then either put your hands on your head dead engine or they can make you run to your bike(a couple steps) or you stand over the front wheel hurry to get on and start.They let you go a line at a time.depending on the class your in, the fast guys go first usually.I forgot to tell you they are a BLAST:ride: :applause: to do here in Calif.we have hare scrambles 1 1\2--2hrs long 10-12 mile course.

what race were you planning on running?? if you in the so cal area which i think you are.. head out to camp rock.. there is a ama desert race there this weekend. im probley gunna hit that up.. it would be my first one as well. but all the families friends run them and there a blast..

josh

once you get all the stuff the guys above me are talking about drink water.

lots of water. atleast a bottle a day a week or so before your race. if its a long race go get some cycling shorts with the pad between your legs and lots of baby powder.

baby powder and water are my best friend during and before a race.

Don't try too hard. I can't count how many guys I know (myself included) that didn't finish their first race because they wore out or crashed (me) in the first 10 miles. Prep your bike as perfect as you can. Make sure your muffler is going to pass sound and has a spark arrestor. DRINK WATER! If a faster rider catches you, let him go and keep riding whatever pace you are comfortable with.

It may seem crazy at first, but the fast guys in the dez can ride like that all day long. If your tired in the first few miles of the race you need to slow down until you can hold your pace without working so hard.

If you finish your first race, you did great!

Most important of all is HAVE FUN!

ya i knw about the water, im in the process of fine tuning the carb on my bike, the exhaust is stock so should be legal