Sign in to follow this  

Trying to decide on a "Dualsport" for when i return from iraq

Well i want to get into riding offroad and am having a hard time deciding what kind of bike i want to get. There is the DR-Z400S which seems to be a great bike but needs many mods. Then i've been looking at the 450ish Husky's and KTM's. The bike needs to be street legal and run freeway speeds with no issues while still being good offroad. The Dr-Z or hte TE450 or whichever KTM is the streetlegal 450. Hmmmmmm.

How much street & how much dirt ???? Knowing what kind of riding you plan on will sway your options one way or another.

& thankyou for your service :applause:

First of all THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!

As to choosing your dual sport bike, as was stated in the previous post, you'll get more accurate advice if you can include info on how much dirt versus street you plan to do.

I ride only enough pavement as I have to in order to get to trails or to connect trails. Had a 2002 520 MXC and just got a 2006 450 EXC. In my opinion, both are awesome for the woods although I prefer the wider ratio EXC gearing. Although both bikes would probably survive day long pavement rides, I wouldn't want to ride them that way. Some folks might use them that way but they're designed more for off road.

I've ridden with lots of folks on DRZs and those bikes seem to do very well. They're a lot heavier than the KTM, but always seemed to be reliable and perform real well.

Husky TE610 is the best choice for true dual sporting. I am waiting for the 2008 model wth EFI. IMS is working on a 5 gallon tank for it as well. One sweet high speed off road workhorse.:applause:

i love my DRZ 400s but i also play alot more in the dirt if you like the street go with the SM:thumbsup:

Well i already have a street bike for when i don't plan on riding dirt. I was planning on the DR-Z until i started talking with some people over here and researching around in my free time. Hence the dilema. I would basicly ride it to trails or maybe every so often just cuz. Currently where i live there is quite a bit of highway riding before i hit any spots to offroad. I would say the bike would actually see more mileage on pavement but would have more time offroad. When i move it will see alot more offroad than pavement. Right now it will prolly be a 60/40 off/on in the future it may anywhere from 70/30-90/10. Both the husky's and KTM's are a bit pricier than i would like but from what i have been reading they are much better bikes offroad at least. I also don't really want to go buy a new bike with a bunch of addons and start replacing things and adding new things to feel that it won't break or get destroyed or "blow up."(im getting lazy) I'm sure i could just get the DR-Z and ride it bone stock(other than tires) until i got alittle more familiar with offroad riding. I have maybe 30 mins of offroad riding experience which was many years ago. I'm just afraid it would be harder to handle offroad since it's not so much built for that. Decisions decisions.....haha.

P.S. Oh ya. I originally started planning on getting a KLR650 quite a few months ago. I feel i have been improving my decision alot as time goes on. Basicly i'm trying to find a bike that is reasonable for say 50 miles or so of pavement to and from an offroad site. I'd like it to be capable of riding in the wood/forest and also capable of some fun desert riding since i don't quite know where i'll be going after alaska.

Husky TE610 is the best choice for true dual sporting. I am waiting for the 2008 model wth EFI. IMS is working on a 5 gallon tank for it as well. One sweet high speed off road workhorse.:applause:

I didn't see a kick starter on the 06, bummer ....

I like having the backup with my WR.

I also didn't see what the stator output was .......

fuel injection, drool .......

I'd hate to beat up such a pretty bike on the beach though!

30 mins off road. Yes buy a USED DRZ400 and get some off road time then move on to a better bike that will suit your needs. I got back into riding on a drz and it was a very forgiving, easy bike to ride.

Well. Used isn't really an option. I will be buying new. That's why I am having the dilema. There aren't any used DR-Z's that i've ever seen in alaska for sale.

Another reason I was leaning towards the DR-Z was the fact that if i want to get into offroading hard then i can just convert the DR-Z to a supermotard and have some fun.

I figure getting a new DR-Z with all the mods i have been thinking of will be close to the price of the Husky or KTM. New DR-Z is around 5500. Throw in tires which i was going to get dunlop D606's will make it go up around 250. Then the MCCT and radiator guards and good handguards and skidplates. That kicks it up a bit more. Then the 3x3 mod and off course rejetting throws in a bit more money. I figure that's looking at around 6500 and hours of work. Or there is trying to find a way to get the Husky to alaska which will most likely make it 7500+ or get the KTM from a dealer up there for price unknown at this time.

Ok so ya. Maybe i'm crazy but i think that all 3 are kind of put in the same bucket with that.

Well. Used isn't really an option. I will be buying new. That's why I am having the dilema. There aren't any used DR-Z's that i've ever seen in alaska for sale.

Another reason I was leaning towards the DR-Z was the fact that if i want to get into offroading hard then i can just convert the DR-Z to a supermotard and have some fun.

I figure getting a new DR-Z with all the mods i have been thinking of will be close to the price of the Husky or KTM. New DR-Z is around 5500. Throw in tires which i was going to get dunlop D606's will make it go up around 250. Then the MCCT and radiator guards and good handguards and skidplates. That kicks it up a bit more. Then the 3x3 mod and off course rejetting throws in a bit more money. I figure that's looking at around 6500 and hours of work. Or there is trying to find a way to get the Husky to alaska which will most likely make it 7500+ or get the KTM from a dealer up there for price unknown at this time.

Ok so ya. Maybe i'm crazy but i think that all 3 are kind of put in the same bucket with that.

$250 for a pair tires ? More like half that.Mcct is optional on newer DRZ's($50).3x3 mod is free.DynoJet kit $60 .The KTM doesn't come with skid plate or hand guards either(not sure about the Husky).

I think your best bet is to find a slightly used DRZ with the common mods done already.In SoCal you could pick one up for $4000, then ship it where ever.

Yes , the KTM and Husky are better dirt bikes,but the DRZ is a better street and dirt bike. IMHO.:applause:

Ok then. Maybe i will stick with my choice as the DR-Z then. I would be better off just getting a brand new one i think. I'm sure the freight charge would be rather high to get up to Alaska plus i would have to sit around waiting for it and wouldn't really know the quality of the work done to it. Who knows. I still have plenty of time to think about it. I talked to the Suzuki dealer up by where i live and they said since i'm getting back late in the year they should be able to hook me up with a good deal on it. Maybe i'll get lucky and be able to walk out the door with the bike and decent rubber registered and all that for 5k-5500. I doubt it though. My luck is never that good and it's not like i can just go to another dealer as they are the only one remotely close.

BHD, I have just one suggestion, don't ride, look at. or even get near the Aprilia as it has already cost every one I ride with a lot of money as they can't seam to get near it with out getting one and they are really expensive to buy, ride, and maint. "like a good looking redhead".:applause:

I originally started planning on getting a KLR650 quite a few months ago. I feel i have been improving my decision alot as time goes on. Basicly i'm trying to find a bike that is reasonable for say 50 miles or so of pavement to and from an offroad site. I'd like it to be capable of riding in the wood/forest and also capable of some fun desert riding since i don't quite know where i'll be going after alaska.

Kawasaki's revised KLR650 is beeing released around June as an early 2008 model. Already shown in the Canadian site, it's only $100 more than the 2007 ($5200 USA); http://www.kawasaki.ca/content/concept.php?l=en&mpl=5&my=2008&m=1062

The DRZ is still a good choice. KTM's 2007 450 EXC is interesting too. The 2006 listed at $7600 (USA).

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4010

Ya....i see they are making the KLR650 even less offroad worthy. It seems like they are just turning it into a touring bike. I think for now the DR-Z with new tires and some protective works should be ample for me. If i really want to get into some hardcore offroad riding i can just buy a strictly offroad bike or a Husky or KTM. Who knows what the future will hold. Maybe i won't like it as much as i think i will and I won't have to worry about that. I highly doubt it though.

Have you considered the KTM 525 EXC? It is light, has all the good stuff right out of the box and the engine is fantastic.

The KTM's are a bit more than i wanted to spend but if they came with everything i would want i would be willing to throw the extra cash at them. I'm sure the 525 is a great bike but it's more expensive than the 450 and i'm sure the 450 would be plenty for me since it will be my first offroad bike. I wish i could get the oportunity to test ride the bikes but none of the dealers near where i live will let me test ride the bikes. Any advise on how i would be able to do that when i get back? I really hate spending the money on the bikes not being able to ride them before i purchase them. I think that's a load of BS personally. If you expect me to lay down $5-10k i better be able to see how the thing feels.

I have a DRZ S and I wouldn't recommend it if you really want to ride off road unless you are talking two track or service roads. It can be a handful and you do not have much experience. I've rode mine in tough single track and with my inexperience, it was a struggle sometimes. If you can get a DRZ E plated in your state, go that route. Find a used one setup so you do not take a big hit on depreciation. The E can take the highway just like the S but doesn't have an extra 29 lbs worth of stuff mounted up high. Also worth considering if you can plate offroad bikes is the XR400....lighter and bulletproof. If I would have known about TT before I bought mine I would be riding a different bike. I bought new and now realize how many nice bikes there are for sale setup with aftermarket goodies.

Good Luck

Added: I spent about $5400 on my S. If I did it all over again with the same amount of money I would get a used DR650 and a used, light, real off road bike for the same amount of money. I've seen a KTM200 for $2000 and DR650's sell for $3000 all day long. No bike can do everything great.

Wow. I think your the first person to ever not recommend a DRZ. I'd love to grab the KTM but it's a bit more than i would like to spend. Maybe i can magicly get a deal since my kawi is going into the same shop for some new stuff when i get back.

Not recommending the DRZ S....

If you can only have 1 bike...I'd recommend a dual sported DRZ E

I owned a DRZ400S..and I did everything you could do...to make it better in t the dirt. At the end, it was OK...

I sold that and bought a street-legal Husky TE-510....the only think stopping me from kicking myself was the fact that 06 was the first year the Husky was street legal from the factory.

If you want an 70% street bike..the DRZ is fine....

If you want 90% dirt Bike...don't go DRZ.