Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on plastis polish

I have a 2005 DRZ400SM and have caught the side panels a few times with my shoes, which have caused some smudges and a few scrathes on the plastic. What is the best way to get back to the shiny like-new look? Would plastic polish be the way to go?

If the scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail in, you will either have to polish for a VERY (read you aren't gonna do it) long time, use a machine or use sandpaper and polish.

I don't polish my DRZ but my Harley has hard bags on it, and I use Flitz (available at any out parts store) to polish them. Works great.

Maybe I should clarify on what I call scratches. They are not deep enough for a fingernail to catch on, but they look like when a shoe makes a mark on a floor. BTW...My bike is black which makes things show more.

Go to a good shop that has any kind waxes or polishes. You can usually find a rubbing compound that will work great. It is one step above sand paper and will rub out any scratches.

Go to a good shop that has any kind waxes or polishes. You can usually find a rubbing compound that will work great. It is one step above sand paper and will rub out any scratches.

I think you mean polishing compound...like the turtle wax in the green tub. The "rubbing compound" is very abrasive and will scratch more. If you use the rubbing compound, you'll have to come behind it with the polishing compound. I don't know if that would work well on plastic though. I know paint, but plastic is another thing.

I have black plastics too. The polishes help, but nothing is going to make the plastic look like it's painted.

kkratz - I know what you mean, the gloss on the black plastic can be easily marked by even dragging a fingernail across it. The normal plastic polishes I tried, (Mequirs and others), just seemed to dull the finish even more. I had pulled off the safety decals on the back fender and now that section is dulled from the various polishing methods I tried.

I believe the reason is the black plastic is a LDPE, (low density polyethylene), which is rather soft. The plastic polishes work great on the harder plastics but I have'nt had any luck on my black SM plastic.

I may try the Silkolene Pro Prep or Pro Clean that Mmaxed and NJC recommend. They said it worked but I don't know if they were referring to the black plastic or not. Please report back if you find a solution before I go out and spend a bunch on some of the other products. Thanks guys.

I use lacquer thinner to get off boot smudges. So far there has been no adverse affect to the plastcs themselves. Then polish after that.

Thanks guys for some more info on the plastic polish. I'll try to post a picture of what I did to the back part of the rear fender. I hope you can tell the difference from the portion in front of the decal as opposed the the dullness aft of the tire pressure decal. Hopefully, I get by one of the cycle shops and pick up one or more of the products reccommended.

100_0371.jpg

There are a lot of good ideas here, depending on how bad the marks are. One simple thing that I use on my dual-sported kicker is Mop & Glo. Yes, the stuff for floors. It takes about 2 minutes to wipe on (after you have done everything else), and it leaves the plastic with a like-new gloss. Most of it washes off the next time you wash it, but it is very simple to do and looks good.

I have a 2005 DRZ400SM and have caught the side panels a few times with my shoes, which have caused some smudges and a few scrathes on the plastic. What is the best way to get back to the shiny like-new look? Would plastic polish be the way to go?

I have tried Son of a Gun and it brings out a nice shine and

it says it has some anti static properties, just don't get any

on the tire tread, slippery.:applause: