Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a KTM 300??

I have a 04 WR 450 and ride so-cal desert and some mountains. I am getting jaded with the cost of maintenance and parts of modern day 4 strokes. I have heard good things about the ktm 300. what are the pros and cons of this bike? which model, XC, XCW ???? thanks for the input.

XC has stiffer suspension and a close ratio gear box. The XCw is a wide ratio gear box and a little softer suspension. The XC is like the older MXC and the XCW like the older EXC. They both do not come with lights or spark arrestor, both are red sticker in CA. Both have the same mid weight flywheel and lighting capability with just a plug n play set up if you buy trhe lights and parts. For the desert the XC may top out too quickly if you ride fast or in 5th gear all the time.

Gotta say I love my 02 300 EXC. I ride a combo of woodsy single track stuff and some more open deserty type stuff. It just works great, and way low maintinence.

Travis

I also am looking at the xc300 is the mix raito really 60:1 sounds awfull thin to me. I ride the track mostly but like to hit the woods from time to time.:applause:

Ktm has that in their books for all the bikes. Conventional wisdom says 32-1 to 50-1. Small bikes more oil cuz rev higher. I run 40-1 in all my bikes using a good synth oil. I wouldnt go lower than 50-1, which I used to use, but now with cleaner burning synth I use more oil. I get no carbon to speak of on bi-yearly tear downs.

I love my '06 300XC for the woods. I like the close ratio tranny, but ride mostly single track and GNCC type trails.

Power delivery can easily be adjusted by changing the power valve spring. I like the red one best. You get a green and yellow, along with extra jets when you buy new.

Jetting can be touchy and take sometime to get it right.

I always run 40:1 in our 2 stks.

The stock valving seems to work well for the type of riding that I do. I did have to install heavier springs.

Smart move to KTM300. I own a 2000 model, we dont have deserts here [ NZ] but for bush and farm riding great.

I have just bought a second hand but very tidy Husky TE250 and are spending as much time on maintenance as I am riding to say nothing of the expense. I wouldn't buy another high tech 4 stroke. Also note that the strokers hold their value better especially KTM. My 300 went 6 yrs before piston and rings replaced and then only precautionary, the shop said it was fine when they pulled it down. You cannt beat the weight either to say nothing of easy starting etc etc.

wrong

I'd sure like to know how you figure he's wrong on the 300 XC or XCW being red sticker bikes. In order to get a two stroke with a green sticker it's going to have to be a 2002 or older model year. Aside from the fact that they are a red sticker bike they are probably one of the best all around off road bikes there is. I love mine but the red sticker issue is a pain in the rear.

9 lives is right.....only 2002 & older are green sticker. Also, all 2002 & older CRF's & YZ-F's are green sticker. This law changed in 2003, I had a 2002 YZ 426F & when I bought it new I was given a red sticker...then in 2003 DMV sent me a green sticker & a copy of the changes DMV made to the Green sticker/Red sticker program.

wait for the 08 300 to come out

even thought there a 2 stroke there comming with an electic starter

wait for the 08 300 to come out

even thought there a 2 stroke there comming with an electic starter

I hope your wrong on that one. I don't think the extra weight of an electric start is a good thing. Two strokes kick start so easy it's just not needed.

I hope your wrong on that one. I don't think the extra weight of an electric start is a good thing. Two strokes kick start so easy it's just not needed.

No, that's quite correct. They're already available an in owners hands in Europe and maybe Australia. Seems to be 300's only for now, though.

No, that's quite correct. They're already available an in owners hands in Europe and maybe Australia. Seems to be 300's only for now, though.

Jeb is quite right we have them here already and according to the local dealer apparently the "E" model is selling faster than hotcakes.

Bruce C.

I have an 05 wr450 and have been not-so-secretly desiring a ktm250 or 300.

I trail ride and ride in enduros on my wr450. Its a great bike. But when you compare it to the lightweight two strokes, then its a no brainer which one is better to ride.

I made the mistake of taking a friends bike for a test ride after a tough technical ride on the wr450. As soon as the "perfect deal" comes along, I'm all over it.

Does a 2 stroke really need an electric starter? It was my understanding the they are really easy to start, even when flooded.

They are very easy to start and I'll take lighter weight over the e-start, but there are many situations in which the electric start would be useful. Just yesterday I was stuck on a steep, off camber, rutted hill; no way to kick the bike, but if I had e-start, just push the button and continue on instead of going all the way back down and trying again.

If you need an e start on a 300 you are really lazy and don’t ride much more than the parking lot. That’s for the guys that go on those 10 minute rides and spend more time tweaking the bike than riding it.

i have a 07 xcw and you can see my sticker

HPIM2148.jpg