Sign in to follow this  

Yzf450 to 450/525 EXC will I miss anything?

I recent article in Dirt Bike mag and scanning this forum and ktmtalk, I'm close to taking a plunge on an exc. I ride some practice days at local mx tracks (no races), but more desert, a little tighter stuff. Some questions:

I'm leaning to the 450exc for "flickability", but will the power be significantly less than my yz?

I'm 6'4, 200#, should I look closer at the 525?

Is either exc still very capable of racing a desert race or local gp (mx track + trails)?

I live in socal, and the local dealers don't sound to great, am I better off buying out of state?

Please direct me if this question has been previously beat to death!:applause:

I don't know about the YZF but I can say my 450 exc is very different than my CRF. Everwhere.

CRF is much lighter and more powerful then the exc. Its not that the exc is slow by any means but its not a mx'er.

If I ran it in GP's I'd need to stiffen the suspension a little.

I recent article in Dirt Bike mag and scanning this forum and ktmtalk, I'm close to taking a plunge on an exc. I ride some practice days at local mx tracks (no races), but more desert, a little tighter stuff. Some questions:

I'm leaning to the 450exc for "flickability", but will the power be significantly less than my yz?

I'm 6'4, 200#, should I look closer at the 525?

Is either exc still very capable of racing a desert race or local gp (mx track + trails)?

I live in socal, and the local dealers don't sound to great, am I better off buying out of state?

Please direct me if this question has been previously beat to death!:applause:

But one of the XC's if you plan on racing. I think the trans ratios are better IMO. All the EXC's are street legal.

525 is basically same weight as 450 so you may want more power with same "flickability" I have an 07 EXC 525 which replaced by DRZ 400 and I love my EXC

My next bike will be a 450 or 525exc......Seems to me,if they are so close in weight why not go with the extra ponies...????

are the ktm valves stainless...???

Is it a dual cam 4 valve head....????

Are the valve adjustments shim under bucket...????

The great thing about KTM: you don't need as many aftermarket stuff as you need for Japs bikes: it comes with Brembo, Excel wheels, and all those good big and small parts. Bonus package that comes with excellent Austrian (read German) engineering overall, great power and everything else (no need for the long list...). I've got my '07 525EXC, it's geared a bit too high for single tracks, and I am changing that, but everything else is AWESOME, I'd say it's the next generation from Hondas and Yamahas I've had and still have.

525 is basically same weight as 450 so you may want more power with same "flickability" I have an 07 EXC 525 which replaced by DRZ 400 and I love my EXC

I share your excitement: got my '07 525EXC too!

Yep. the same 250 lbs dry weight with tons more power.

My next bike will be a 450 or 525exc......Seems to me,if they are so close in weight why not go with the extra ponies...????

are the ktm valves stainless...???

Is it a dual cam 4 valve head....????

Are the valve adjustments shim under bucket...????

That's right:

Specs precisely say: "4 valves controlled by finger levers and 2 camshafts".

I dunno about stainless (most likely though! it has stainless parts that others don't).

Owner's manual is very good, not just little brochure contents which half of it incude long description of riding safety tips and another half- US and especially California emission regulations. You can actually DO get knowing your bike by using this manual.

Good questions for MotoHouse guys!

That's right:

Specs precisely say: "4 valves controlled by finger levers and 2 camshafts".

I dunno about stainless (most likely though! it has stainless parts that others don't).

Owner's manual is very good, not just little brochure contents which half of it incude long description of riding safety tips and another half- US and especially California emission regulations. You can actually DO get knowing your bike by using this manual.

Good questions for MotoHouse guys!

Actually only the sx models get the dual overhead cam engine and they use titanium valves. The other models still use the older RFS motors that are 4 valve single cam motors with stainless valves. They are screw adjust valves and the sx are shim and bucket.

Actually only the sx models get the dual overhead cam engine and they use titanium valves. The other models still use the older RFS motors that are 4 valve single cam motors with stainless valves. They are screw adjust valves and the sx are shim and bucket.

Seems like '07 has brought some changes to all models. All sources confirm 4 valve for EXC models: 450 and 525, including all my manuals for '07 525EXC.

Actually azmotobrat, your information is refering to the 450 sxf, 250sxf, and the 250xcf and xcfw models. The exc's are single cam stainless valves just the way I like them, reliable.

Seems like '07 has brought some changes to all models. All sources confirm 4 valve for EXC models: 450 and 525, including all my manuals for '07 525EXC.

If you notice in my post I said the rfs motors are 4 valve single cam. I cant think of a four stroke off road motorcycle made that isnt at least a four valve. Yamaha is the exception with five valves. Also I believe only the sxf models get the new dual cam motor. The xcf and xcf-w models are still the single cam rfs motors.

I have a yz426f and a 450exc the yzf has little more zip but in tight woods you can't beat the KTM.

I have a yz426f and a 450exc the yzf has little more zip but in tight woods you can't beat the KTM.

Something I have never done: woods and mud. I think it must require totally different settings and type of riding from upper desert- big boulders, granite bedrock with deep ruts, loose sand, silt, a lots of "vertical stuff" or something we call "AZ sandpaper" . Lower desert is easier: flat, run wide open like most of Baja.

Something I have never done: woods and mud. I think it must require totally different settings and type of riding from upper desert- big boulders, granite bedrock with deep ruts, loose sand, silt, a lots of "vertical stuff" or something we call "AZ sandpaper" . Lower desert is easier: flat, run wide open like most of Baja.

In north Georgia with all the mountains and hills with those great rocks the KTM is the way to go, But if you go down south where it is flat the YZf is better a hole lot less shifting and better acceleration per shift. So to the thread starter it just depends on where/what you ride.