Sign in to follow this  

Braking OS MX wave rotor?

I would like an opinion on which way to go brake wise for 17" wheels on drz S model. I will be switching back & forth between 21"/18" dirt & 17" street so want low hassle factor. I don't race on street so am not sure I need 320mm rotor. I read where Neil Claydon liked stock size braking wave rotors after trying others, so has anyone tried the mx oversize braking (260mm?) wave rotor with bracket & pads ($256) from TT store. Was thinking that slightly over size was better than not & $100 cheaper than 320 Braking setup. I have an EBC 320mm setup on back order with TT store but after hearing of some unhappy customers with EBC wasn't sure I wanted it esp. if it's holding up my order. I have SS braided brake line on order also...so, any opinion or experience to share? Trying to keep costs down but brakes are important...

Low hassle dictates the same rotor sizes be used on the same wheels. If you go to a larger rotor on the front, you'll need two rotors, one for the dirt front, one for the sm front.

How did you like the brakes before is a significant question? Any complaints? If you have them, we can address what you did not like.

FYI, the stock brake from your 21 when used on a 17 is going to be much more powerful than it was on the 21 as the 17 od is so much less.

The SS lines will firm up the feel somewhat, then the weak link in the hydraulics is the caliper flex.

As a dirtbike, the brakes were fine but I have yet to ride with my 17's on the street, waiting for sprocket, front rotor & Vapor. Was having second thoughts on EBC product & also 320mm size. Changing the bracket off & on caliper isn't a big deal for me, will leave stock size rotor on back, may get 2 w/another set of rear pads in case I tire of changing rotor from wheel to wheel. Front was the main concern for street use, probably should ride it stock I guess, I just didn't want to go through 2 or 3 setups before I was happy....

Let me rephrase my thoughts, from previous posts it appeared that the oem caliper on a 320mm disc wasn't optimal due to difference in radius, the result being the oem pad didn't make full contact with larger disc. So, would it be better if when using oem caliper w/ bracket to use a quality smaller disc, say a 260mm braking or motomaster that more fully contacts stock pads? Or would I end up toasting the small disc on the street eventually? Again,I'm not a racer & want to use stock caliper for ease of swapping wheels. Thanks for your input William1

I would start with first doing a rotor swap between your 17 and 21. See how it feels. Then do your brake line. Ride it a while. Aftyer your rides, see how hot the disk is. Did the brafes fade while you were rifding?

If... the brakes have issues you want to resolve, describe those issues and let see what we can do then. Throwing money at a problem that may not be there is silly.

Let's see if there is a problem first. Throwing money at a possible perceived problem because you want to is another matter.

I read where Neil Claydon liked stock size braking wave rotors after trying others, so has anyone tried the mx oversize braking (260mm?) wave rotor with bracket & pads ($256) from TT store. Was thinking that slightly over size was better than not & $100 cheaper than 320 Braking setup. I have an EBC 320mm setup on back order with TT store but after hearing of some unhappy customers with EBC wasn't sure I wanted it esp. if it's holding up my order. I have SS braided brake line on order also...so, any opinion or experience to share? Trying to keep costs down but brakes are important...

I used a stock size rotor because I could not afford yet another rotor and bracket.

The stock size bracking wave rotor was far better than the 280-mm EBC disc and bracket I had been using.

Had the funds been available I would have used a 320-mm set up.

from previous posts it appeared that the oem caliper on a 320mm disc wasn't optimal due to difference in radius, the result being the oem pad didn't make full contact with larger disc.

I think you are getting confused here with the 320-mm disc on an SM problem.

As far as I know there in no problem with a 320-mm disc, with stock calliper mounted on the correct bracket on either an S or E.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

Thanks Neil & William,

You hit it on the head William about throwing $$ at perceived problem, I checked some earlier posts and Neil was right about radius of caliper sweep etc. seems to be SM problem. Again, thanks for info Neil, I knew you had experience with your drz rotors and was hoping you'd chime in, I believe I'll contact TT store and go Braking 320 rotor & bracket, this was my first intention but was trying to save money but doing it twice or three times kills that idea....will try it stock though for comparison purposes...

I'll contact TT store and go Braking 320 rotor & bracket, this was my first intention but was trying to save money but doing it twice or three times kills that idea....will try it stock though for comparison purposes...

Good plan, I wish I had done that first time round.

If you are going to ride it hard, the stock size disc is not up to the job with 17 inch road rubber.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

Thanks Neil, this forum is great, no need to reinvent the wheel with so many members & their experiences. I didn't think I would ride this bike hard at first but after putting on the fcr39 it's really hard not to..I can't remember the last ticket I've had but have to stop and think about it on the drz now. So with the 17's on I think I might as well go for decent brakes, I do feel the stock caliper will then be the limiting factor but I'm willing to stop there...as my original plan was to have an easy quick change setup, dirt to street...