Sign in to follow this  

97 RM 250 Help

Hey guys, my buddy has a 97 RM 250, and he was asking me what the best things to it to make it just a little better/cooler, for low money. Its completely stock, what type of pipe should he go with? Pipe and Silencer? Reed Cage? He rides trails alot but is looking to maybe race a little mx this summer and maybe some scrambles,.....oh also do the 99 shrouds fit up to the 97 tank??

Thanks alot guys...remember anything cool for under approx. 400 bucks Thanks.

I'm sure the shrouds will fit, he just may need to make them fit. I would'nt spend the money on a pipe just yet. To make the bike look better, just put a graphic kit on it. Spent the money on good tires for her. A set of tires that work good, will out perform a pipe anytime! Spend some money on brake pads, a bike that handles great because of a good tire choice, and a bike that can go deeper into the corners because of better brakes will beat a piped bike anytime!!! Getting the point yet??? Spend a day setting up, and dialing in the suspension. You will be amazed at the performance increase these mods will make! After all this is done, and your friend figures out where in the power band the bike needs a little help, if any, re- jet it! After that, then think about getting a pipe that will benefit the bike. If he still wants a pipe for the cool factor, strip the paint off the factory pipe and wipe it down with wd40 for a "works" look!

Those 99 shrouds will NOT fit.

The 99-00 are the same within themselves and that's all they fit, but 99 shrouds will not 'fit' a 97 which you can check for yourself by looking at the parts numbers for the corresponding years on bikebandit.com.

If you don't mind the 'rigged' look, then go for it, but if you want the bike to look better, don't do it.

(If those 99's are yellow and you want to get rid of those 99's I'll take them as I've been looking for a used set for over 6mos!)

He has pretty fresh tires on it...when it gets warmer we're going to dial his suspension in and work on the brakes...Really the thing needs more nuts...compared to my YZ this bike isn't cutting it for him...doesnt have the hit he wants...what would help?