Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy an '03 exc 250 fourstroke?

I've heard this bike is slow compared to some of the other 250 trail bikes. I've heard there's a 350 kit, whihc is great, but how much money do I need to sink into this bike to get it right? What are weak/strong aspects of this bike? I weight 180 lbs and will use it mainly for enduro's, but also love riding the MX tracks. Let' see, I'm interested in power, handling, suspension, reliability, necessary upgrades, etc. Thanks!

I've heard this bike is slow compared to some of the other 250 trail bikes. I've heard there's a 350 kit, whihc is great, but how much money do I need to sink into this bike to get it right? What are weak/strong aspects of this bike? I weight 180 lbs and will use it mainly for enduro's, but also love riding the MX tracks. Let' see, I'm interested in power, handling, suspension, reliability, necessary upgrades, etc. Thanks!

As a 250 they work well but do not keep up with the latest hi tech 13,000 RPM jobs. My Son had 6 of these in an off road tour business, the logged a bunch of miles and did not break so they are tought, jettin was screwy on the first ones, it got better each year but on an 03 I would be changing the needle. If you buy it contact me and I will look up what we used. We did one 350 conversion with HT, I think it was in the $600 area and really brought the bike to life. He still has that bike and it had been excellent

I ride with Olddude and he has a kitted 250. 351 HT kit and he loves it.

I have an 03 250 exc.I bought it in 05,and ridden it pretty hard on tecnical trails.I found it to be underpowered...but im also 225lbs.Only problem i"ve had is the kickstand.If you want to go fast you need to go bigger.Iwould say it"s a great bike...My boy is on it now...He"s 15 yrs old...150 lbs

I bought one like OldDude's last June. It already was convereted to 351 (HT) and had the lastest subframe and plastics.

I like it for the most part. It is as heavy as the lager bikes but believe it feels lighter due to less reciprocating mass. As such I can take inside lines in sweeping corners (vs. KTM 450/525s) and can pretty much ride it like my former RMX.

I've gone one step further last weekend and put on a Trail Tech -7 oz flywheel weight. This was icing on the cake - added even quicker revs, if you like that. This makes it easier to dial in a wheel loft as required.

It should last a long time due to being built with parts from the bigger bikes, except the trans; it has it's own close-ratio six speed.

im in the same situation and was thinking of dropping from my wr450 to 03 250f ktm, but i have allso heard that they are realy slow, but there isnt much in the 250f range i can get for my money and realy wana drop to 250f (lighter an easyer for tight uk enduros)

id love to fit a 350 kit to one but that is money i just havnt got :applause:

Only 12 lbs lighter than an 07 400 xc-w.Petty much same ratio tranny though.

I have a friend with one and stock it was slow but still fun. I think he paid the dealer $500-600 to install the 350 kit and the bike is a whole new animal. Granted it isn't as light as a new 250f, but if you can get the bike for the right price it can be made to work really well. However, I'd probably opt for a 400 exc if you could find one at a decent price since they are basically the same bike except for the top end.