Sign in to follow this  

99 chevy 1/2 ton-How many miles is too many

I'm looking into buying a 99 or 2000 chevy 1/2 ton, 4wd, Auto, x-cab, with the 5.3. I'm looking for something under 10 grand so it's gonna have some miles. How many miles do you guys think is too many? I'll probably end up with something around 120k. What do you think?

Figure 12k-15k per year average and go from there. A 99 should have an average of 96k-120k and the 00 should have an average of 84k-105k.

Steve

The new chevy small blocks will run forever. And the rest of the truck will hold up pretty good too if its taken care of. I'd judge a truck more on how it looks and drives than what the odometer says. I've had a few 250,000 mile vehicles in better shape than alot of 75,000 mile vehicles.

There was a 2000 silverado on autotrader.com awhile back with 640,000 miles on it, was gonna link it but its been sold I guess.

Thanks, my diesel has 240,000 and still runs strong, but it's a diesel. I was just wondering what some other people thought. I know the new chevy's always have piston slap and most have low oil pressure but people say you only need 10 lbs per 1000 rpms. Of the people I know that have these trucks, none have failed because of these problems.

Thanks, my diesel has 240,000 and still runs strong, but it's a diesel. I was just wondering what some other people thought. I know the new chevy's always have piston slap and most have low oil pressure but people say you only need 10 lbs per 1000 rpms. Of the people I know that have these trucks, none have failed because of these problems.

Only one I know of with engine failure is my cousin's-GM is trying to argue the oil consumption is within acceptable limits, and the pig burns a quart every fueling (300-350 miles). 6.0L in a 4 dr 2500 4x4 with 32,000 miles. Currently undergoing a "oil consumption analysis study", whatever that is-when the tailpipe is splooging like a CR250 mixed at 12:1 and ridden by a super-spode, that's a pretty good sign that something isn't right.:applause:

The piston slap some of the early 4.8 and 5.3s had was annoying as hell but was nothing more than that. It didnt hurt longevity of the motor at all.

Never seen a new generation small block with oil pressure problems. '80s 305s maybe but not the new ones.

Only one I know of with engine failure is my cousin's-GM is trying to argue the oil consumption is within acceptable limits, and the pig burns a quart every fueling (300-350 miles). 6.0L in a 4 dr 2500 4x4 with 32,000 miles. Currently undergoing a "oil consumption analysis study", whatever that is-when the tailpipe is splooging like a CR250 mixed at 12:1 and ridden by a super-spode, that's a pretty good sign that something isn't right.:applause:

damn, sounds like somebody at the factory forgot to put rings in one cylinder lol.

my new 6.0 didnt even burn any durring the break in period when the dealer warned me to expect some blowby.

Sadly I just totaled my 99 1500 that was fully loaded... Bought it with 146k on it for 9500 and when i wrecked, it had 157k and no problems. Going today to possibly buy a '00 with 106k and appears to be in even better condition then my old truck (which I got 12,400 from insurence for).

I have a 99 chevy silverado Z-71 it has 135,000 miles on it and all I have done is changed the air filter and sparkplugs once at around a hundred thousand miles :applause: I haven't had any suspension problems or anything and I have a 6 inch lift and 3 inch body lift I love my truck I'm just glad it's paid off:p

The only negative I have ever heard about Chevy or GMC 1500's is that some time around 120k to 140k some have a tendancy to loose reverse in the tranny.

Other than that I have never heard anything bad about them.

I have a 1996 Chevy 1500 2wd with 140K trouble free miles and I also have a 1990 GMC 4x4 with a plow and 140K hard, worked miles. Also trouble free.

Both of these trucks have the 5.7.

My brother in-law has a 1997 GMC 4x4 1500 with 155K and he plows hard with it. He lost reverse last year. It was a $850 fix and the truck other than that is awesome.

Good luck.

Everyone has given you good advise. Gen 3 motors are good for 300-500,000 miles. Make sure the "ABS" light is not on, it will need the motor about $750 to repair. Water pumps need replacing from time to time, but are easy to do. Brakes every 80-125k, thank God some people don't take care of them, I would be out of business.

Hey I have a fully loaded 98 Z71 extended cab (3 door) with the 350 and tow package. Has 33inch tires and a 3 inch body lift, it pulled my 16 foot inclosed all the way from ALASKA no proublem also pulls it every weekend to the races. Truck has 114,000 miles and runs and looks like new. I am selling it to get a van if your interested.

These things really hold up

Thanks for all the reply's, I sold my diesel yesterday so Saturday I'm going truck shopping. I'll let you know what I get. Thanks again

Well I bought a truck today. I got a 2000 GMC Sierra GLS (I think). 96,000 miles, 4x4, x-cab, 4-door, auto with the 4.8. Very nice looking truck. I paid 12,500 before tax. Not bad I guess. I hope the 4.8 is alright. I've never really heard anything about them.

Well I bought a truck today. I got a 2000 GMC Sierra GLS (I think). 96,000 miles, 4x4, x-cab, 4-door, auto with the 4.8. Very nice looking truck. I paid 12,500 before tax. Not bad I guess. I hope the 4.8 is alright. I've never really heard anything about them.

The 4.8 is identical to the 5.3 and shares all of its good reputation and reliability... its just alittle less horsepower and torque. Not much of a towing motor but great for a daily driver.

I only race cars about 5 times a year and I ride every other weekend or so, so I'll be using it mostly for a daily driver. Thanks for all the info.

:lol: Congrats my man!:applause:

i have a 00 gmc. 145k runs like new. i towed a 6,000 pound trailer 8,000 miles up here to alaska in -50+ weather and it runs great. very easy to work on especially compared to older trucks except they use that communist metric crap so you have to buy all new tools. just replaced my front wheel hubs becuase they just froze. really easy. took about a half hour. cost about 200 dollars which is pretty good especially for up here where everthing is double what it really cost. ujoints too. pretty much all the non-greasable stuff. motor runs good though like new. oh yeah it gets a little over 20 mpg on the highway. i love dodges (of the cummins variety) but these are the best 1/2 ton you can buy with any amount of money. buying one with over a houndred thousand miles though. i hope you know your seller. too many little nit-picky things unless they did it by the owners manual. i bet it would cost more than the entire price of the truck to get all the services and replace everything by the book. keep in mind every type of truck has its flaws i feel this one has less expensive and easier to fix ones than all the others.