Sign in to follow this  

05 YZ250 Gaad or Bad

I have been out of the Yamaha loop for some time. I am thinking of switching back. I am looking fore something that will do both desert and mx. Are there any problems with the 05 that got worked out later? Or is it ready to rock? Thanks.:applause:

Can't beat the YZ250. I did some mods to mine to get it woods ready. As far as the suspension goes, arevalve and respring is always in order, right before the Scotts stabilizer. I have 50+ Hare Scrambles and thousands of miles on mine and I couldn't think of a better bike.:applause:

thats a negative. everything yamaha makes is pretty decent (except those damn ttr's) the yz250s are amazing. suspension might need a little tuning but other than that the power and handling is awesome

yeah i think the only things that really different between the 05s and 07s is the suspesnsion. for most riders i think that bike would be awesome either stock or with just a revalve. the suspension on my 07 is amazing, but i have never rode an 05 to compare it to.

Cool. My buddy is selling his. The only thing that I am not sure about is the forks. My 04 had a very loose feal to them. It made the bars feal like they were falling off. If that is fixed I will see what I can do. Thanks.:applause:

Havn't been on an 05 but do have a new 06. I cry every time I have to put it back in the shed. I had a 04 kx250f that I absolutely LOVED. This YZ made me 100% forget about that kawi, it's THAT GOOD!!!!

I own an 05' rode an 06' and 07' the only feedback is that with the adjustments I made to make my suspenion plusher is allready set up on the newer models. The motor is the best iv ever riden in my life In the past I had a 1989 YZ250 that was awsome to, but this ew bike is ofcourse light years from that.

I own an 05 and have ridden an 06. The forks are def better on the 06. But you won't think they are bad, if you only ever ride the 05. Other than that, the 05 - 07 are pretty similar, and all great.

Easy changes:

Replace the front tire, it's hard as a rock, but will last you forever. In the desert, the stocker will be fine, but on a nice MX track you will want something better.

Your call on the stock chain. I rode my stock chain for about 75 hours, but it did need to be adjusted regularly. If you don't keep it in spec, you will need new sprockets soon.

If you are going to be doing high-speed in the desert you will want a steering stabilizer, and should probably change your gearing. Stock is 14/50, and you will top out in 5th around 65 - 70 mph (but that's moving pretty fast in the dirt. There are a ton of posts about what people have done (e.g. 15/50 or 14/4x) Do a search.

In the past I had a 1989 YZ250 that was awsome to, but this ew bike is ofcourse light years from that.

I had a 1989 YZ250 also, it was heavily modified and it ripped. I have an '06 now and like you mentioned, LIGHT YEARS.