Sign in to follow this  

rm 250 vs yz250 woods racing

there seems to be a lot of yz 250 being made into woods racers is this just somthing hat happends by chance or is the yz accually better then the rm for woods riding

In the performance area they are about equal. Just sit on both at the dealership and pick the one that feels most comfortable. Or, if you can get a better deal on one go with that. I bought an rm based on that but if I had to ride the yz I would be just as happy. I was also fortunite enough to have ridden both before I bought mine.

i dont think there really is that big of a deal, but maybe that the RM's have better acceleration, not sure but it could be

What year bikes are you looking at??? There are certain years for each that were weak and/or strong...compare look up old magazine articles every year mags. do tests between the 2 strokes and rate them...Let the pro testers give you a little insight.

lol them testers suck. well not all but some do. But anyways i would assume that we are talking about late model bikes.

The YZ motor should be bolted onto the RM frame for the Best Woods bike. lol IMO

I agree with that. The RM seems to be more nimble and better handling while the YZ motor seems to be more smooth/less pipey. That being said, I put a +10 flywheel weight and an FMF gnarly pipe on my RM and it is amazing in the woods. Mine is an '03 and I had to soften up the suspension quite a bit (I'm 175 lbs) for the woods.

how do the power bands compare liek does one have more bottom or top end

my 06 RM 250 makes great low end it's close to a 4 stroke IMO I race H/S and love it!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. There are a lot of after market parts for each bike so you can make it into a woods bike easy. Both engines are good on low end and have a full power band. From 04 on the Suzuki had Showa suspension and it took some years for Yamaha to catch up. Either way you are going to need a revalve for the woods. So far a toss up but the Suzuki has a steeper steering head angle that makes it turn faster. If you look at how many turns there are on a HS course the nod goes to the Suzuki…at least that is how I ended up with an RM.

I got more bottom and mid by removing my V force 3 and pro circuit pipe and putting the stock units back on. Did lose some top end but Wow what a nice trade off Im happy.

Did you have to change the jetting when you did that?

The reeds generally are 'said' to just change the top end as they make it richer.

I'd think it was more from the exhaust change?

Yeah I always mess with jetting. Living in Florida the weather change can call for a jetting change real fast. Between the two setups the main stayed the same but the pilot and air screw need adjustment.

What seem to work for me were stock reeds, stock pipe and PC shorty silencer. I plan on seeing what the YZ reed spacer does real soon. I even tried swapping pistons to see what brand seems to perform best for me. I tried wiseco,vertec and ProX. The wiseco performed the best with added snap and slightly faster revving motor, without a doubt it’s a lighter piston with the wrist pin and clips. The vertex and ProX performed both the same pretty much like stock pistons.

In the end I didn’t use the wiseco because it was a loud piston and I did not like how it made the motor sound (Sounded Beat to crap). I am using the ProX because it is pretty much a stock replacement and sounded tight.

Excellent info and keep us posted on how that spacer works.

That's a good thing to know about the pistons, too, and which is 'quieter' because I've been looking to get the noise down on mine and was thinking it was the pipe, but now I'll just look to change piston brands at the next top-end maintenance.